Is Alexa Rank useless?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by altcom, Oct 11, 2012.

1. altcom

altcom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

http://www.businessadviceforum.com/showthread.php/40715-How-to-Improve-alexa-rank-of-my-site-?

Most webmaster may think that Alexa rank is useless, because we are optimize a site for SEO not Alexa rank. In my opinion, Alexa does help to improve traffic. Alexa offer daily download for top 1,000,000 sites, if the site is doing well surely it get lot of referral traffic.

2. borgninestallone

borgninestallone
    uix_expand uix_collapse

3. DeniseTaylor

DeniseTaylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Like any tool, Alexa has flaws. As a general rule, it can be helpful. But it can also be abused, so that needs to be taken into account. Alexa data can be cross-verified, so abuse is somewhat detectable.

4. WebNet Host

WebNet Host
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree, Alexa is useful, but just like any other tool it does have its flaws.

5. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

There are two different issues here. As a tool, Alexa is fine although there are other tools that give you basically the same information. But don't confuse Alexa's use as a tool with the usefulness of the Alexa rank. Alexa rank really has very little meaning to anyone.

6. printingray

printingray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't agree with this, because Alexa increases at the behalf of page impression of a site which is possible by software as well.

7. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I dont agree at all, Alexa DOES NOT help to improve traffic, the alexa improved due to your traffic increase, not the opposite way
    And alexa ranking can be boost by using tools, it is not accurate enough

8. jawilson

jawilson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Using alexa tool is very useful because you can monitor on how many visitors visit your site in every three months.

9. Mayko

Mayko
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Alexa rank is the global traffic rank of a website which is observed by the Alexa toolbar if a website visited more by using alexa toolbar then its Alexa rank must be higher than a high traffic website which i observed many times for my many of clients. Alexa is good factor of them who sells the website ad space or offer some kind of advertising on the website because publisher consider that factors as the good traffic sign.

10. Maximspace

Maximspace
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Mayko is correct. If your visitors have alexa toolbar in their browsers your ranking will improve rapidly. But if you check your daily statistics with a program like AWSTAT you will see the difference.

11. Mustang Ride

Mustang Ride
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you are wanting to sell your domain name I see a lot of places list the Alexa rating. Not sure if it helps or not when selling.
    I also read adding the Alexa button to your page can lower your number with them. I did that on one blog and my number went pretty low, not sure it is was any help or not. But I guess it does not hurt to try.

12. cupid

cupid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

useless for sure !

you can install alexa toolbar and you alexa rank will go high and high :)

13. pete.mcal

pete.mcal
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Alexa traffic only tracks visits from people who have the toolbar installed. Most of these people are either webmasters, internet marketers or in SEO.

So unless you're operating in these areas the data will be skewed and unreliable.

14. KScott55

KScott55
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I can provide some good insight but don't rely on it completely. There are many other factors you can monitor in addition to Alexa Rank

15. renegadeleader

renegadeleader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you want to sell a website, it must have a high PR and low alexa to increase it value.

16. pixacompanyphil

pixacompanyphil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Alexa counts all the visits from your website. When I mean all, it means even some junky-generated traffic still counts for alexa. So, it means you never know what kind of traffic you are getting in just looking at Alexa numbers.

17. arindamdutta16

arindamdutta16
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Alexa Rank is more of your visitors are getting alerted of the Alexa Ranking. When visitors came to your site for the first time and they saw your site ranked in millions, they would think that they’re the only one visiting the site and very few else did. Alexa Ranking provides you an immediate view of you and your competitors’ performance comparison.

18. micheal.burns1

micheal.burns1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes!! As it gives traffic ranking compared to other websites in market. If it was niche related one then i think that would have given us an idea about our competitors but for now it is very general.

19. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Let's clear out a few things...

The highest PR you can get is 10 and the highest alexa rank you can get is 1.

Yes, Alexa toolbar isn't reliable since it can be cheated. In addition to that, there have been heresays that a person with Alexa installed in their browsers are the only one that they tracked. Sites like Alexa use a simple "calculation method" to determine your traffic. It's similar to that of those "domain appraisal" scripts. They are essentially guessing by taking various forms of freely available information and "calculating" them into your approx. traffic estimation.

20. micheal.burns1

micheal.burns1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How to modify alexa ranking of a site??