Is a computer cafe a great business these days?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by RestOwner, May 6, 2010.

1. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My sister is thinking of going into business, and she has this idea of going for a computer cafe. Is this a good idea?

2. anselduminy

anselduminy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Its not a bad idea at all, as computer as bacame a mean of nessecity and alsmost every boyd uses it.And eevry one needs it almost every day. And it is not possible for everybody to carry their compueter everywhere they go. So having a computer cafe is not at all a bad option.

3. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would love to see your sister post her plans here so we could help her out more.
    In my opinion, computer cafe is a good business. Why?
    Most homeworks, information and communications can be done using the computer and internet. But not all people can buy a computer. So the last thing they can do is rent a computer with internet access.

It is best placed near a school or anywhere with a decent amount of teens.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

As with many businesses, a lot will depend on the location. In some areas many people will have laptops or home computers and hence not need the services of a computer cafe. In other areas, more people will require this type of service.

Where is she planning on locating the business?

What are your own thoughts on the business RestOwner?

5. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, she lives close to the beach, so she plans to do this maybe near by.

In my opinion, I think it can be a great idea, but maybe she can try to include other services related to beach stuff?

6. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i'm also planning to have my own internet cafe once i move to my own house this October. :D
    i'd like to name it FREE INTERNET CAFE :D naturally it would be free for all. not that they won't have to pay to access the net.. But the thing FREE is about the systems :D i'd be using Linux systems.

you have to deal with authorities actually if you have this kind of business - they'd be checking if you have genuine operating system.

7. JuicyCafe

JuicyCafe
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That really depend on where you come from. You should think about it first because you need a big investment in order to do this, you need to search and study your area. Who should be your customers and if there are some internet cafe's near by your area. You should know hardware installations and troubleshooting. Learn do's and don'ts. Goodluck.

8. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Not sure why living close to the beach makes it a good idea. I don't think I'd want people in wet swimsuits dripping all over my computers or getting sand in them. I'm only half joking when I say that.

What's more important is how many similar businesses there are in the area, location as Fergal says, the money she has to invest, how large a target audience there is and how serious she is about it. It all sounds very vague right now.

As to including beach stuff, I wouldn't. Again for the dripping wet swimsuits and sand reason. I don't think combo type stores ever work anyway. Choose to concentrate on one or the other and get to know that business inside out. Beach = seasonal. If she spends half her cash buying beach stuff, she'll be stuck with the remaining stock all winter. I'd drop the beach stuff idea.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

If you call your business that, many of your customers will expect to get free internet access from you. They will be disappointed when they find out that they have to pay for it. Disappointing your customers is not something that you want to do, so perhaps you might want to reconsider that name.

10. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with Kay. It's not good to have a computer/internet cafe on the beach. Why?
    As far as I know, you are located in Cebu, Philippines and Philippines is one of the most typhoon prone area. And having on the beach is not a good idea since typhoon greatly affects the beaches. Not a good idea, I guess.

The best place is on the cities or subdivisions, or some place near a school. Students needs a faster and convenient way on doing their projects fast.

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

What are tourism numbers like on the beach concerned? If they are high, all year round they may provide a good target market.

12. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

lol cebu is surrounded by islands and mountains. have you ever heard in the news that cebu has been affected by a typhoon? i hope not. i will be living in the nearby resort by october.
    our organization [ cebupctech.com] promotes opensource in the city. so my cafe will also be the office of the org. and so my cafe will also be FREE in a way.

13. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, honestly, AFAIK, these places only got a bunch of people during summer seasons, unless they have many houses or subdivision nearby.

Yeah. Although it is rarely affected by typhoons, having an unternet cafe near a beach is a big no-no for me. Demand only goes high during summer seasons.

14. JuicyCafe

JuicyCafe
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with GekiDan. and if i were a customer, I would rather enjoy the beach than to go to internet cafe. So for me its really a big NO if you are actually planning to put Internet business in the said area.

15. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i'm not sure but maybe its a good idea for them to tweet that they're in the beach and upload their pictures while in whitesand beach :D

16. JuicyCafe

JuicyCafe
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's hilarious ! Lol. Not to mention that not all people got twitter and other social networking sites. And also. Have you been thinking that most of the beaches are full of people when its weekend and not in weekdays? That means its the same as your internet cafe business and all people from beaches you will only get atleast 30% of them to go to your cafe.

17. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

not a bad idea actually our resorts here have wifis. and this resorts have hotels itself.
    maybe you haven't seen girls sending images while on the shore but i have.. :D
    http://cebutravels.asia/2010/02/costabella-tropical-beach-resort/

18. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That was my thought too, Narci. I'd be at the beach to just be at the beach, not indoors.

I agree with what others have suggested. A better location would be near students or at least a high street spot.

You could also consider somewhere close to some transportation hub, like a busy bus depot or train station where people have time to kill between connections.

And on the name, you'd be well advised to read Fergal's post again. It would be more honest to just call it Internet Cafe or Connection Cafe or something like that rather than Free Internet Cafe. You could always have a big sign in the window saying the computer use is free.

19. JuicyCafe

JuicyCafe
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That doesn't make sense to me. We are talking about internet cafe here. Not a wifi that people can actually get it for FREE. Actually, I haven't seen any people going to the beach with their laptop. Sorry for being rude but who care's if that resort have wifi? If I have a laptop by myself and go the said area I would love to get some free wifi. Plus, about the "girls" or lets add "guys" you see sending images while in the shore. Now my question. Have you seen them on the net cafe or just with their laptop? Have you already think that *these* people will come to your internet cafe even if they have a laptop and can get a wifi for free? Have you think that you can only get atleast 10% t0 20% of them to go to your internet cafe? If you already think of that now how can you survive that? How can you get your investment back?

20. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

lol, some of your posts are hilarious. I don't think my sister is going to have the same "great" idea now, after I show her this thread.