IP Board and Vbulletin

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by GeeOne, Mar 5, 2011.

1. GeeOne

GeeOne
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have seen one forum shifting from Vbulletin to IP Board, just curious to know what could be the reason for this?

G!

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

vBulletin have made a lot of their customers very unhappy in recent times. There have been lots of technical issues with the VB4 software upgrade and many users still feel that the software is not running as well as it should. In addition many customers with owned lifetime licences (including me) were non too happy that they were forced to buy a new licence in order to upgrade their forums to VB4, I even had to purchase a new licence to upgrade to the latest version of VB3.

3. GeeOne

GeeOne
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ok, IP board is technically better then vbulltin?

G!

4. Mokeli

Mokeli
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thats Very True, IPB is now Number 1 unless vbulliten Improves there system from all there useless Bugs and Problems.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

While it's true that quite a few vBulletin users have switched to IP Board the answer to your question is really a matter of opinion. There are people who favour VB and others who prefer IPB. Personally I didn't switch, because I believe that although VB has its problems it is still a good quality software, in addition I'm quite familiar with VB and I don't fancy having to learn how to admin a new software product from scratch.

6. Matt

Matt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, ever since IB bought vbulltin, their quality has gone way down. I think that is the major reason people are starting to switch.

7. GeeOne

GeeOne
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sorry not getting you, can you explain again?

G!

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

IB is short for Internet Brands they are a company who own a number of online properties, many of them being forums. IB purchased the vBulletin software business in the summer of 2007. Internet Brands was itself acquired by Hellman & Friedman at the end of last year.

Many VB users (including me) were unhappy with the way VB customers were treated after they were acquired by IB. There appeared to be a much greater focus on squeezing as much money as possible from their customers, than on developing the software or providing a quality service to those customers.

9. GeeOne

GeeOne
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hummm

Every business houses/Companies (online or offline) must take care of their client, as customer is King.

G!

10. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

To me, I prefer vbulletin than any other forum softwares out there. It seems to be the most user friendly software available...

11. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That question will always be answered with opinions ;)
    Here's a writeup I did 2 years ago when inet took over, has about 80 comments with other forum owners.
    (vBulletin vs IPB)

12. An Alien

An Alien
    uix_expand uix_collapse

lol, I use phpbb. It has a nice community and a lot of mods. Best of all, it's FREE!