Investor Wanted For New Invention.

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by tonpen, Mar 9, 2010.

1. tonpen

tonpen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am seeking an investor for a revolutionary new idea but I am not sure where to find investors and how to approach a qualified individual or group without disclosing the idea. I would like to apply for a patent and trademark in the near future, but I do not have the funds to do so. I need your help and advice. Thanks.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum tonpen, thanks for joining and for asking your business questions. What country are you located in? What general industry does your idea apply to?

You can use a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) to give you some protection when discussing your idea with potential investors. By signing NDA the potential investor is agreeing that they will not use the information you provide them with, without your permission and authorisation. This article is a good overview of NDAs - Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA).

This article includes a lot of useful information regarding patents and might help you decide how you need to move forward in this regard - 10 Common Myths & Misunderstandings about Patents. Please post back with any questions you have, once you've had a look at it.

Writing a brief business plan for your business idea should be helpful to you. Many people in your shoes feel that they don't have the information they need to write a business plan, however, this should not prevent you from writing a first draft. Even a one page document that describes the idea, how it will be produced or delivered, says who the target customers will be, how the product / service will be promoted to them and how the business will make a profit, would be a good start. It will help you to clarify what the business will look like in your own mind and give you a strong basis for describing it to other people. You might find the business plan templates listed in our Useful Business Resources / Links thread helpful.

Please post back with your thoughts and a little more info and we will provide you with further help and advice. Good luck with everything.

3. OneLife

OneLife
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Invention

Hi Tonpen

Some years ago I helped fund a business called Baylis Brands. You can find them at http://www.trevorbaylisbrands.com/. Trevor is the inventor of the clockwork radio that got so many accolades a number of years ago. The technology is commonplace now in torches, radio and even MP3 Players!

The site gives you a number of tips, specifically for inventors and can help bring a product to market.. I can say from personal experience that Trevor and his team are very much on the side of the inventor...

Hope this helps

4. jim-stock

jim-stock
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Signing an NDA is really helpful in such situations

5. Marketest

Marketest
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can register on some websites where inventors and investors meet to find deals.

Microfunding is a way to do it where you can share your ideas in a secure and protected way and find investors.