Investor for great invention wanted!

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by jelie3110, Jan 27, 2011.

1. jelie3110

jelie3110
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello,
    My name is Jen, my husband has a great invention that have been awarded a patent. The problem is I am not quite sure where to go from here. We need an investor for sure or possbly someone who just wants to buy the idea. It pertains to kayaking and there is nothing on the market that even comes close. I have shared my idea with several other kayakers and so many people have told me they would buy it if it was on the market.
    Please help us make our dream come true:)

2. bulkybo

bulkybo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello, have you tried to present your idea to a kayaking club, or a team building company that organizes kayak courses? Good luck!

3. jelie3110

jelie3110
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi there, no I have not done that, that's a great idea! I have been in touch with bot Yakima and Thule and they are such large corporations and they want to have creative control. My husband is so passionate about this idea that he wants to be part of developing it.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum Jen, thanks for joining. Have you written a business plan for the invention? Even taking a few hours to write an initial quick draft plan could be very helpful. There are some links to good business plan templates in our Useful Business Resources / Links thread.

When investors are considering a business idea, they have three main questions;

1. How much investment is required?
    2. How will the investment funds be used by the business?
    3. How will the business pay the investor back?
    Are you clear on the answers to those three questions?

5. jelie3110

jelie3110
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks Fergal! I am not clear on all of that at this point, but I will get right on it:)

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thank you Jen, please do let us know if you have any further questions or if you would like clarification on anything.

7. Janiev123

Janiev123
    uix_expand uix_collapse

investor

Hi Jenn.

Once you know what you need financially from an investor, i'd love to see your business plan. My husband and I are intrested in starting or purchasing part of a new business.

8. jelie3110

jelie3110
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Janiew123, right now we are sort of playing around with a few different ideas on what to do. Yesterday I spoke with the Manager of product development at Thule, which is the largest manufactures of car racks in the country, they are very eager to speak to us. My husband doesn't really want to give up all rights to this patent, he would love to retain some creative control in the development of his product. The fact that he has a patent already makes his idea so much more marketable. Where are you located at?

9. ava_camen

ava_camen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

contact companies that market kayak products and submit a business plan :)

10. Casey

Casey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I suggest you make a business plan (or hire someone to do it for you) and then present it to an investor, you could get some venture capital

11. singingjeanie

singingjeanie
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey try the Dragons Den or Sharks Den...both tv shows one is in Canada the other is in USA and they will help people like you if they love your ideas.
    Good luck!

12. Local Impact Pat

Local Impact Pat
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Online market testing gives business proof & value.

Hi Jen:
    As a starting option, you may also want to test market your idea to gauge the response that it receive from its core users.
    You could do this by making a simple website and testing advertising links in kayaking forums / chat rooms, face book like pages and using very inexpensive pay per click advertising through search engines such as google adwords.
    If your product is hot you will receive some orders that you could place on :back order: and use as proof to investors as to the market worth of your invention.