Investment is not always important for success.

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by jenniferjohn, Feb 18, 2015.

1. jenniferjohn

jenniferjohn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How many of you think that only chasing investment can take your business to heights??

If you are going to say a 'YES', then you need to think over again. I can give you many reasons, why not to give investors priority.
    Inviting investors means you have to deal with the interferences, unwanted suggestions and sometimes remaking of strategies. It's all a way beyond your expectations.
    Know experts comments about this: http://www.theguardian.com/small-business-network/2013/oct/08/live-chat-is-investment-good-for-business

It's better to start a business with self-investment, right strategies and competent team.

• Like Like x 1
  2. moneyguru

moneyguru
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would never take funding for any business venture, I like to be my own boss, I don't want others to tell me what to do with MY company. They can keep their money. haha

• Like Like x 1
  3. vivaclean

vivaclean
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It really depends on the individual. But I totally agree with you - success can be achieved without investors help.

4. Jybrael

Jybrael
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ofcourse just pure investment isn't exactly enough to make a business successful...there are a lot of factors a person needs to consider...but since this is about Investment only lets think for a moment...what do you want...do you want to be your own boss? Or do you want to have someone else also be part of the decision making process? Those things need to be really thought out before you move forward.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Casie

Casie
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I believe, investment is still important when you ought to expand your business. If you have more money to finance the expansion of your business then, there's no need to ask investment from others. Otherwise, you get a financial adviser and investor to finance the expansion.

6. bburkeconsulting

bburkeconsulting
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As a business owner, you can take out debt to increase company value as well.
    Offering equity is not the only option, however -- it helps to offset risk and can give you additional resources that debt can not.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ConvertiVid

ConvertiVid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, this depends on what kind of business or what goal do you have. If you are planning to become a large and successful corporation or entity, you would obviously need the investment or money of other people. However, if you want to become a successful local business, you would be content to work for yourself and not answering to other people.

8. James4

James4
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As my experience everything is possible. So, it depends on what kind of business and environment do you have. If someone have idea and experience to start a new business but he/she have not enough finance for investing then what they should have to do? I have read many entrepreneurs success stories how have started with very small investing and got success and also got succeed their business from small to make it big.

9. deepalmittal

deepalmittal
    uix_expand uix_collapse

yes, all is right, proper planning and right research with creative solutions and open mind approach to the business is what that will make you successful businessmen.

10. bburkeconsulting

bburkeconsulting
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would say that that is frequently the case, but not always. Take Facebook for example -- huge successes prior to the recent IPO -- and global!
    Same with Twitter (though no revenues had been brought in yet -- so depends on what you consider "success")

There are tons of others that are family owned -- Mars, Comcast, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  11. MatthewOlszewski

MatthewOlszewski
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Always you invest in your business, if not money, it's your time and effort. Besides, if at the beginning you run the business alone, you invest in your knowledge and new skills. Therefore, I think the investments are necessary to achieve success in business or any other field of life :)

12. B2025

B2025
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Several universities already have launched incubators to help entrepreneurs and scientists (e.g. Imperial, Cambridge, UCL, Said at Oxford, etc).

Entrepreneurs should be looking for investments that bring more than money, but also distribution channels, access to products and markets, management infrastructure, capacity, scalability, and all business elements that will give the start-up a competitive advantage and a clear differentiation and superiority to the product.

Also, entrepreneurs usually accept money way too soon or more than they actually need. In many cases we see that it is more a psychological reinforcement than genuine business needs.

13. bburkeconsulting

bburkeconsulting
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In the initial stages I think your own drive and determination to succeed massively outweighs that of almost working for someone else to see your ideas develop. I think it can be a distraction. Do you think it's better to build your business to have a proven track record before potentially going for investment so you have a better standing for negotiating terms of potential investment opportunities? At least in this manner you make the investor buy-in more expensive and you maintain more of your own equity.

14. B2025

B2025
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Absolutely - investment is by no means a bad thing, but it has to be on your terms. VCs and Angel Investors do this sort of thing every day and they're good at it - if you go for investment not able to fight your corner you could very well get turned over.

15. ConvertiVid

ConvertiVid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, you have a point right there but you forgot one particular thing, even though Comcast is family owned today, Comcast was originally co-founded by 3 different people. This means 3 different invested to start the company.

16. navarromarillou

navarromarillou
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sometimes you need a self-investment, dedication to your company and the right team for strategies.

17. manishsqrt

manishsqrt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with you, if you can innovate and execute in the best way you have reason to get success, investment is not a necessity to get success, neither it is sufficient, i have seen many investments failing due to lack of innovation and proper execution.

18. chad23

chad23
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I completely agree that attracting investment is not always important for success and sometimes it is a very high risk for the company. Investing money in the development of company investor often has influence in making important decisions for the company and sometimes it can have a negative impact. Also you have to share the profits with investors and you are already not the sole manager of the company like before attracting outside investment.

19. 60degreeDigital

60degreeDigital
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Investment is not the priority, it's the compulsion for a good business to rise.
    Well, its good to be master of your own, but sometime there is a point when you need small amount of investment for making thing large.
    Few external disturbances are tolerable if they come at the cost of growth.

20. B2025

B2025
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Re: Comcast -- we're still talking about a big difference between a partnership and a full blown IPO!
    Obviously there is scale and relativity involved in everything we do. Also, when we say "investment" - it doesn't necessarily mean cash. You could bring together the individual with the proprietary idea/product; a developer to further build-out; a marketing company to work to get the product to market; an analytics company to assist companies get the most out of the product; etc. In this way, you could have multiple parties with "in-kind contributions" and essentially no cash flowing!