Interview Friday- Need some advice

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by SoCalKidZEROexp, Feb 24, 2010.

1. SoCalKidZEROexp

SoCalKidZEROexp
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm meeting with a minor league sports team front office on Friday to interview for their concessions manger position. I've interviewed with this team in the past (but was unable to commit to a position at the time) and have been in touch with them for a while. They've indicated, in so many words, that the position is mine to lose. When we scheduled the interview this past Monday, I figured it was just to touch base and tie up any loose ends before they officially make an offer. Then today I get this e-mail:

"Please have a game plan as to how you would run the concessions for us this season. You should have an expected budget with projected costs and expected profits prepared. You should also be able to outline a menu offering and how you see us doing all of this. Make sense?"

Whoa, what? To give you some an idea, I'm 23 years old, my background isn't in business, but I've been a concessions manager with another team in the past, and have done a few things such as calculating cost of goods sold for each menu item. However, for the most part, what they're asking is totally new to me. Expected budget and profits? Where am I suppose to pull these numbers from?

I've sent them an e-mail to just try and get an idea of some of their previous year's numbers (menu pricing, attendance, per caps, etc.).

Think they're just trying to challenge me to see what I come back with, or do they expect a full presentation and details on what I can/will do for them? Either way, I'll do my best to do the latter, but I'm really going into this blind.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum SoCalKidZEROexp and good luck with that interview. It sounds like they want to make sure they employ someone who has a genuine interest in the job and who will bring ideas to the table, on how to sell and make a profit for the sports team, which is understandable from their point of view.

It would be difficult for you to know exactly how much items will cost the team to source, hence it will be difficult for you to provide accurate forecasts. What you could do is base your projections on anticipated averages for that type of sports team. Can you think of any ways you could get those figures?

Something else you could do is have a look at the team's previous annual report or last set of accounts. Look at their sales figures and try to suggest ways that they could increase these sales. Then look at their costs and try to suggest ways that you could reduce these costs. Once you have this information you should be able to give them an estimate of how much additional profit these changes could make for the team.

Good luck with the interview.

3. kinse01

kinse01
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In preparing for a job interview the first thing you must consider is dressing code, you need to wear formal dress even if it is low and high rated job, and during the job interview you need to answer the question politely. Here's other advice I can share to you..https://www.jobsindubai.com/career.asp?qArticleID=28&page=4.

4. johndale

johndale
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can check their previous financial reports. I think you should ask them about that to come up with the numbers you need. I hope things had been okay regarding this.

5. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Don't Panic...That's the first requirement........
    Just give a try by searching on the internet about the task given to you..then coupled it with your experience and try to deduce something of use to them....they just want to know from u that " what extra value can you add to their organization"...that's their whole objective in sending you that mail...that's all.....

try it..best wishes..

6. gtt

gtt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

First of all, there's something about you (you definitely have the "IT FACTOR) why they reconsidered you for the position. Make some research about the team's sports financial accountability & status reports, history and make some financial analysis. Know their financial viability as to what they want to achieve its operating objectives and fulfill its mission over the long term having you to lead the team.

Since you've had related experience with another team in the past, use it as your guide in making some statistics, figures and projections, explain to them and be specific with every single figures you may want to present them. Just be yourself and be professional. A truthful and candid presentation will make it outstanding of you.

Lastly, write them a "thank you" letter for giving you another opportunity to be a part of their team.

Hope things turn out good for you regarding this.

Good luck!

7. rapidbilling

rapidbilling
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hi...
    I would like to share some tips that should be taken into consideration before going on an interview and during the interview:

> When you are called for an interview you have to confirm about the date, time, and location of the interview.

> Be on time, you have to plan to be earlier than half an hour before the interview schedule time.

> Your interview letter must be with you.

> If you are asked to bring certificates, references etc, get them ready before the day of interview.

> Carry additional resumes for distribution to department heads, search committees, and others you may meet who have not seen your resume.

> Employers typically require references. Get permission before using anyone as a reference. Make sure that they will give you a good reference. Try to avoid using relatives as references

> Good smile always please people. Smile is one of the things which may matter in your impression during interview.

> Eye contact without glaring shows your confidence.

> Don't interrupt to interviewer when he/she is talking.

> At some point during your interview, you'll be asked whether you have any questions. Asking questions demonstrate your level of interest in the job, so be prepared with questions to ask, and jot some down during the interview. Your ability to ask straightforward, insightful questions lets the interviewer understand your perspective and concerns, as well as your judgment and analytical ability.

> Evaluate/Review your interview's strengths/weaknesses immediately after the interview.Be cooperative and enthusiastic

Rapid Billing