Internet Browsing Slow - Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Fergal, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The speed at which I can browse the Internet from my home PC has really slowed down recently. I've checked the speed of my ISP at SpeedTest.net and it appears to be fine.

Do you have any ideas as to why my browsing has slowed down recently and any suggestions as to how I can speed it up?

Thanks!

2. Entré

Entré
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Are you running any torrents or downloading any thing at all? Go to the Task Manager and look at the processes, see which ones are taking a lot of CPU usage and if it is unimportant, terminate it.

Is your computer running slow at all?

Is any one else using your internet connection?

3. ASAmoto

ASAmoto
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can have a try as follow.

First, upgrade to the latest version of Firefox. It is fast!
    Add the plug-ins Grease Monkey and Ad-Block to Firefox.

Second, use a browser cleaner such as CCleaner. It is a free program. http://ccleaner.com
    When the Ccleaner program tells you that running the scan will permanently delete the files it finds, click OK.

Before you use Ccleaner the first time, click on Settings, then click the box that will make sure Ccleaner makes a new System Restore point before it deletes any files.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

No not at all, at least not intentionally.

I've terminated a few that I know I don't need. There are lots of other processes running and I don't know if I need them or not.

Not that I've noticed, I use it mostly for the Internet, which has been slow, but everything else appears OK.

No, but it's a satellite service, maybe I need to check the security of that.

Thanks for your help Entré.

I use Google Chrome and would prefer to stick with that.

Downloading it now, hopefully it will help. Thanks a lot for your help ASAmoto.

Any further suggestions would be welcome.

5. mv5869

mv5869
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You may have other processes running that you cant see. Download and run a program called HiJack This and post the results log. The program scans your system and displays everything running in the background.

Other thing to do is run a comprehensive spyware scan and a virus scan. You might have a trojan hijacking your connection.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks a lot mv5869, I feel that my Internet browsing has already speeded up, from following the other tips in this thread. HiJack This log below (split over two posts), is there anything there that I should be concerned with?

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Second part of HiJack This log.