International Business

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Clint Cora, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've noticed that I get quite a fair amount of website traffic and a lot of connection requests on LinkedIn and Facebook from folks out in India, Philippines and several African countries. I'm always glad to connect with people from all over the world.

However, I've also noticed that at least in my case over a few different business areas, I have never received any business from people in those countries. Maybe they just like to connect and are really not potential customers. I have received business from places outside North America like the UK, Australia, Germany and South Africa.

I haven't had much from Asia and South America either but I don't get much traffic or connection requests from those regions either. I think in those cases, it's mainly a language issue.

I'm just wondering what has been the experience with others here.

2. digital150

digital150
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is not from personal experience, but rather from a close friend, she runs a business and like yourself is keen to connect with people all over the world, she also finds this issue, they never want to do business, she thinks its partly down to a language barrier, but she also feels it could be from a sheer lack of funds a lot of the time, or the means of moving the funds safely.

3. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The countries in question in my case (India, Philippines, etc.) are English speaking countries. I heard that it might be the exchange rates too.

4. digital150

digital150
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Exchange rates could well be what puts a lot of people of, if it doesn't make economic sense, then I guess, why do it?

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It may well be because the cost of living in the countries you mention, is so much lower than that of Canada and the US. Hence, it would be very expensive for someone in one of those countries to purchase from a business or individual based in Canada. Those individuals are probably connecting with you so that they can learn from you or in the hope that they can sell to you.

6. Gary Barzel

Gary Barzel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with Fergal, chances are they are trying to learn business models from different people in other parts of the world. Another possibility could be that it may be better for their business publicity if their clients can see that they are connected to other businessmen from around the world.

7. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This happen commonly, the main reason is due to the cost and followed by the languages.
    I have some client from Asia, but only from Singapore and HongKong, major customer is USA, followed by UK and Australia as well