International Business Major

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Quacker Jack, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Quacker Jack

Quacker Jack
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The time has come for me to start considering where I am going to go to school and what I am going to study. One of the possible majors I am strongly considering is majoring in International Business. The only thing is, I am still a little unclear of the realistic application of a job in this field. I was hoping that maybe someone around here could clear up a few questions for me.

1. What type of careers can a major in International Business lead to? It is similar to like real business jobs, but just on an international scale? (ie, International Marketing, etc?)
    2. If one majors in International Business, does one select a "key location" to focus in, such as the Asias, Europe, or the Americas? By keying in, I mean focusing on becoming fluent in that region's language and culture. If so, does anyone have a region I should focus on? Or would you have an all-rounded focus on the entire world?
    3. How much of a difference in salary could I possibly expect if I was to focus on international business versus regular business administration?

I appreciate the help any of you can provide regarding this.

2. Bobby

Bobby
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Your are in the Era of Globalization, International anything is only going to grow in demand. In terms of specific answers to you question, I am probably not the best to answer. My guess is that finance / marketing is ideal, Asia is the best region, and International trumps regular in terms of opportunity and pay. These are only my opinions and I am not well versed on the subject.

GL
    Bobby

3. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

International business has good scope in the business world. If you have a major in Int Business then you would get a job similar to business administration. It usually involves catering to the business function from a global perspective. If a company has operations overseas then there are various things involved in managing it which include foreign laws and international treaties and it needs a dedicated person to handle it appropriately.

As far as i know it is not necessary to select a location. It depends upon where you get the job.

And as far as getting a real job and pay scale is concerned it would be good if the recession does not stick around.by the time you complete your course.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Quacker Jack, I'm sorry but I don't have direct answers to your questions. However, I'd suggest that you speak to the colleges offering those courses. Ask them about the career prospects for graduates of International Business and ask them to give you examples of the jobs obtained by their previous graduates.

5. Quacker Jack

Quacker Jack
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Bobby, that's what I figured for the most part. I figured that when moving towards a globalized economy, it would be crucial to have that international background/experience. I planned to help differentiate myself by learning (maybe minoring) in an Asian language like Chinese or Japanese, as they seem to be the most valuable. Rocky, interesting point. And I definitely hope that the recession is gone by the time I'm ready for the work force. And Fergal, I didn't even think of that. That's a really good idea I will look into. Thanks for that.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Good luck with all that Quacker Jack, sounds like you have a promising career ahead of you. You have fantastic opportunities available to you, I wish I was back in school planning on going to college ;)

7. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have already done my majors in international finance ...on the job front though it didn't helped me a lot but has given me edge in my marketing activities in international markets....

8. Quacker Jack

Quacker Jack
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks Fergal. And if there is one thing that I know about business, whether it be from my dad or my granddad, is that by creating edges, you are making yourself stand out. And by standing out, you will be different from the rest. I've always been told if I want to succeed, I need to learn how to be different, in a sense, which is particularly why this career path interests me.

• Like Like x 1
  9. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Spelling mistake OR Name!

The thing is that no matter how you are different but why are you different is the thing that matters....

I also had a unique combination of degree...although it made me stand out from the rest but since no demand or precisely no awareness among the people in the market about such combination...it didn't help much...

But yeah..in my personal venture it gave me an edge which I feel sometimes while dealing with people.....hope some day I will cherish this decision too...

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

What are you referring to?

11. Quacker Jack

Quacker Jack
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I get it I think. I thanked you but then referred to his message. I responded the rest to you scifi. ;)

Hopefully everything will work out as you want it. :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Quacker Jack is correct.... I thought He was referring to your post and acknowledging me .....;)