Intern/liasion issue

Discussion in 'Legal and HR' started by Patrick897, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Patrick897

Patrick897
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am an intern and I met yesterday with two execs from a company that offers a product we had interest in purchasing. The meeting was for my feedback to them as to why we didn't use their product. Another employee from my company was supposed to be there, but I ended up going in alone. I'm really worried that I did something wrong-- I suggested a number of changes and then one of the execs asked me if I could see myself working with the product if they made the changes, to which I said I could potentially see myself using it in combination with another product, depending on the needs of the company. I'm worried that they are going to revise the product and then expect us to buy it. What do I do?

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I honestly don't think there's a legal issue here. When a potential client doesn't make a purchase, the seller naturally wants to know why. If a lot of potential clients don't buy the product, the company selling it may then consider changing the product to gain more sales. If the product is software, they may consider making the changes for a later update. It is not financially feasible, however, to change the product to get one client to buy it, and take legal action if the client does not.

3. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It doesn't sound like you did anything that could bind your employer. As Joseph said in his post, sellers often want to get feedback on why a buyer isn't interested in their product. Even if your company doesn't ever buy the revamped product, they gain by listening and making changes that they feel that typical buyers would find useful.

Not having been in the room with you, I can't say definitively that you didn't say something that would affect your company's obligations, but it is highly unlikely. Particularly if the seller knew that you were an intern, then I would say it is virtually impossible. No reasonable person would ever assume that an intern has authority to legally bind his company in a situation like that.

Don't lose any sleep over it.

• Like Like x 1