Inspirational Stories

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Nazreen, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've created this thread so that we can share some inspirational stories that are related to business to the rest of the BAF community.

Here's one inspirational story that I've always enjoyed. Hope you like it too!

2. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's time to upgrade our skills too..

It's not just the time to update our CV or resumes as mentioned in another thread, it's also time for us to upgrade our skills. During this troubled times and with the threat of unemployment looming over everyone's heads, this is no longer a time for complacency. If before we were contented with our progress and achievements, today we should wake up and keep working in gaining new skills.

Our old skills are like cellphones, gadgets or even like stocks in bearish markets, they depreciate in value over time. Like cellphones, some of our skills might even have become obsolete so we need to discard them. A good example is Wordstar - the first world processor, if I'm not mistaken, no one uses this today. With new technologies and softwares coming out all the time, our old skills (especially computer skills) will depreciate in value so it's important to keep up with the times.

The story of "Sharpen your axe" above is a nice and inspiring story that stresses the importance of upgrading our skills.

#2 Nazreen, Oct 30, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's a very good point Nazreen. People who unfortunately find themselves out of work or working less hours, could consider using the extra time they have to improve their skills or perhaps do a training programme.

4. youbetcha1018

youbetcha1018
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Very nice story and good points. You guys are right, upgrading your skills means good opportunities in life. Oh well, my spare time is used in sleeping. I need a lot of sleep.:)

But I always make sure I upgrade whatever is necessary.

5. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nazreen, I don't know how I missed this before but I really love that story! Wise words indeed. I was just sitting here thinking I've been working for 16 hours today straight between the writing, home and family. I need to take some time out tomorrow to just relax and regroup.

I used to meditate actually but it's been a while. If anyone would like to hear a relaxation piece to help them take a breather, I have one on my blog and it only runs for sixty seconds. In fact, I'm about to listen to it myself and take my own advice.

Be Still

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Very nice Kay, glad to hear you haven't lost your Scottish accent. :)

How did you actually create the video?

7. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As often as I need to call my parents, Fergal, that's not going to happen anytime soon. :D

8. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Here is another Inspirational story-The Wise Sage

There once was a wise sage who wandered the countryside. One day, as he passed near a village, he was approached by a woman who told him of a sick child nearby. She beseeched him to help this child.

So the sage came to the village, and a crowd gathered around him, for such a man was a rare sight. One woman brought the sick child to him, and he said a prayer over her.

"Do you really think your prayer will help her, when medicine has failed?" yelled a man from the crowd.

"You know nothing of such things! You are a stupid fool!" said the sage to the man.

The man became very angry with these words and his face grew hot and red. He was about to say something, or perhaps strike out, when the sage walked over to him and said: "If one word has such power as to make you so angry and hot, may not another have the power to heal?"

And thus, the sage healed two people that day.

Use your communication skills effectively because it can do wonder for you in corporate world!!!!

#8 scifi, Nov 12, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

10. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It seems that a lot of young people who graduate, can't get wait to get away from all the studying and exams, and want to land an ideal job immediately. After landing a job, they'd learn only what they needed to know just to be able to work then after that stop learning altogether. I guess you could also count me in with these people who stopped learning. Luckily someone knocked some sense into me so that I've learned my lesson and started learning once again but only after several years.

I think it's good if we ask ourselves these questions everyday - "Have I learned anything new today? Have I sharpened my axe recently?".

That's also quite a nice story. I've always believed in the power of prayers and asking for help from God will always bring good results.

That's quite a nice story Scifi. Thanks for sharing that story with us.

Okay, I've also voted for your forum on mykillerstartup Silent_thunder. Good luck!

I think creating online video presentations would be in some way related to inspirational stories. :)

11. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Here Is Another Inspirational story from me....

12. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think I've read the story of Shay several times already in the past and every time I've read it, I always come out teary eyed. Thanks for sharing that story with us Scifi.

We Muslims believe that people like Shay are actually very lucky. They're luckier than most of us normal folks. Do you know why? It's because even if they make mistakes and others consider them an embarrassment, they are considered sinless in Islam. So we believe that they already have a reserve spot in Heaven.

13. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A very good thought Nazreen indeed! I respect your religion's opinion!!!!!

I also believe that society should encourage people like shay to achieve what they want from their life since all being children of GOD should help their fellow brother whom GOD have sent on this earth with a trust that his other children will take care of HIS this Child!!!!!

14. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

What a lovely idea. It's a shame that all major religions are not as charitable towards all marginalised groups, minority groups and disadvantaged people.

15. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Here is One More Quite Inspirational story- Last Respects

"The most important relationship you can have, is the one you have with yourself."

16. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I Can't Funeral

I was just digging through my old emails and came across this wonderful story which I received a couple of years back. This is quite a long story but it's very well worth it. Enjoy people.

17. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Excellent story, Nazreen. I actually do try to encouraged kids not to say "I can't", but instead to ask for a little help when they need it. The funeral is certainly a great way to make an impression on kids and have it stick in their heads that they should never say those words.

18. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A very inspirational story Nazreen indeed!!!
    Sometimes it is very necessary to convey the right message to children in a right manner so that it can make a long lasting impact in their lives & I think that the teacher Donna had done it in a very effective manner .......... ///>>>
    A powerful Message can be delivered in the simplest way to the most innocent too !!!!

19. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I was just reading Reminiscences of a Stock Operator by Edwin Lefevre and I would say that it's one of the best books I've read on trading. This story which was recounted in this book is about an investor known as the Pennsylvania Dutchman who owned shares in a company called Atchison. He has heard of disquieting reports about the company and it's management, so he wanted some facts.

20. Johnhanry

Johnhanry
    uix_expand uix_collapse

To achieve success we need to do analysis of what we can do and what we cannot do. And also the reason behind that. THis helps in knowing our strenghts and weaknesses.