Innovative Startups in the Bay Area

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by dvduval, Apr 25, 2010.

1. dvduval

dvduval
    uix_expand uix_collapse

So a few weeks ago after living my whole life on the East Coast, we packed up our belongings and our cats and moved to the Bay Area. It's humbling to know that I am in the same place where companies like Google, Facebook, Ebay and Yahoo become household names. When I see an expensive sport's car drive by or see a mansion on a hill, I wonder if that might be someone special.

From what I have heard, one of the next big startups is going to be Bloom Energy
    http://www.bloomenergy.com/
    Anyone heard of them yet?

Anything else you think that will be big in the Bay Area soon?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I haven't heard of them dvduval. What do you like about them, why do you think they will be successful?

What's innovative about them?

3. dvduval

dvduval
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In a nutshell, they install a "cube" outside say a Walmart that creates electricity from natural gas, and it reduces the cost of producing electricity by 50%. I know google, ebay and walmart have bought a few. And what's nice is the main material in this cube is sand, so it is a really clean yet efficient source of power. Hopefully, one day it will reduce our dependence on coal, or at least improve the efficiency of the grid. Oh, and if the power grid goes out, the cube keeps working!

4. JamesD31

JamesD31
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yet you have to understand that Natural Gas is going out as well, it may be better then Coal, but we have millions of tons more coal than we do Natural Gas.

5. dvduval

dvduval
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't believe the consensus is that we will be having any natural gas shortages anytime soon.

6. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I guess with Colin Powell on the board then they have some pretty big backing already and will have major chances at Govt contracts.

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sounds like a very interesting business indeed. There are tremendous business opportunities in the environmental and alternative energy markets.

8. factoring

factoring
    uix_expand uix_collapse

They're a pretty interesting company. I know Google is trying to be 'cleaner', and if they are buying some of their products, then that has to say something good about BloomEnergy

9. MarySmith

MarySmith
    uix_expand uix_collapse

just heard of bloomenergy today and thanks. I read a page about the fuel cell technology that they use on that same site and it sounds interesting when they call it power server. i was curious to know more about it...

#9 MarySmith, Jun 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  10. dvduval

dvduval
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Just following up on my original post. I have since moved away from the bay area and then back again! I see that Bloom Energy's customer list has expanded considerably, and also on a different note, SpaceX just sent a rocket to the space station. Go Bay Area entrepreneurs! :)

11. sayitproud

sayitproud
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Bloom Energy sounds very interesting. It's always hard to tell with these "green" companies. Some of them want to seem environmentally friendly but if you really analyze it there are parts of their business that are not. You kind of need technical expertise to be able to tell. But it's definitely worth researching more.