.info domain?

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by Pαnos, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Pαnos

Pαnos
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have read many articles and reviews about this matter, but I wanted to see more opinions. Why .info domains are not so effective for SEO? Also, do you think that a website ,which uses an .info domain, can be successful?
    Personally, I think that .info domains are effective only for site which provide information. For example, if you want to create a blog about technology and tips and other things, an info domain is a good choice and your blog will probably become successful. Although, I believe that the most important thing is the content, isn't it? Share your thoughts with us now!

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

.com domains are most effective because they are the most memorable and they are the most likely option for someone to type into their browser's address bar. For example, if I heard there is a great site called Facebook and I wanted to find it, I would most probably look for it by typing facebook.com into my browser's address bar.

Saying all that I don't think the TLD you use, makes any difference in terms of how highly the site ranks in the search engines. An exception to that, is the case of TLDs that Google considers to be spammy. For example, Google de-listed the .co.cc domain extension at one time, because they were of the opinion that a large proportion of sites using that domain were malicious or of low quality.

3. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have experienced this .info domain issue. I had like purchased this one .info domain which would hardly get in SERP. Also, .info domain are the cheapest domains tld. This could be the reason that Google isn't giving it much importance.

Also, you know that it's hard to get .com of your choice because most of them are already taken. I have seen Google also giving priority to .net and .org domains and .info could be alternative for a .com domain name easily, that' why .info would not be so much ahead for SERP or SEO.

4. Multima$tery

Multima$tery
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Because .infosare the cheapest domain overall, many spammers acquire these and use them for spam or malicious purposes. This is be one reason why Google doesn't give it as much respect as the other top level domains. Yes, you can rank a .info, but it would likely take much more work than just starting with a .com, .net or .org.

5. altcom

altcom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Google treat all domain extension equally, if .dom, .net and .org are search engine favourite extension. Why domain like .tv, .asia .co, .me domain still rank well? The advantage of .com domain is recognize by everyone, as result it avoid typo error or visit the wrong site.

6. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

We are talking here about .info domains altcom. I haven't talked about other domain tlds as the topic is about .info domain tld. The reason behind this is that the domain tlds like .info, co.cc, .ws are considered as spam. Google doesn't treat them well but associates them with spam. By the way, How many of the .info links do you see on SERP?