Indeed.com Anyone used it?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Fergal, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks to Kay for posting a link to http://www.indeed.com/ in this thread. I've a habit of taking threads off topic, but decided not to do it this time.

Has anyone used indeed.com, did you find it useful?

I've sometimes thought that a feed that lists new job listings on Business Advice Forum, would be helpful to members. Indeed do just that, more details here.

Do you think it would be a useful addition to our forum?

2. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think that's a great idea, Fergal! (though you might want to change your title... ;) )

It was actually an online friend of mine that's an insurance assessor who told me about it when my husband was job hunting. The day she gave me the link he got offered a job so we haven't actually used it ourselves to any great extent past browsing the ads. She loves it, not only for keeping an eye out for some extra online work she can do but to find out what other companies are paying for her type of job. Even for that it would be a handy tool to have around here. :)

It's much faster than having to check each individual site, that's for sure. In fact that was why she gave me the link, because I was saying how time consuming it was trawling all the job sites.

Which is a long way to say I vote yes. :)

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the feedback Kay. Title fixed, silly me :)

4. Big_0n3

Big_0n3
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A very good site . But if they large the site to make it international it will be a very good site for jobs.

5. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Big _On3, if you look at the bottom of the home page, you'll see it does have versions of this site available in other countries. Listed are: Canada, Germany, France, Spain, India and the UK.

It may very well expand beyond those countries over time since they've already shown an interest in doing so. :)

6. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is the first time that I've heard of indeed.com. Here in Singapore and the rest of Asia, Jobstreet.com and JobsDB.com are more popular.

I like the format they used for indeed.com. They must have taken their inspiration from google because their job search engine looks almost the same as google's. Even the "Advanced Job Search" is very similar to google's.

I think the interesting feature of indeed.com is it's "Where" search box in their site. You can search jobs in their main page unlike other job search engines that have separate pages per area or location - just like in Jobstreet and JobsDB.

7. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi!all
    It's a good concept & very good site to aid you in u'r fight for job hunting!!!!!
    In India we have more popular job portals being--Monster.com & naukri.com..
    Even I have heard about this indeed.com first time..I have seen it's Indian version too..
    But people here prefer these monster & naukri portal more.
    Recently there is another addition to the list in the form ofhttp://www.shine.com/. it is also very good portal on much similar concept as indeed but more innovative than indeed.com(Indian version)
    I think shine.com is worth a look once......
    They have first attempt to bring a new application called SALARY tool which tells you u'r worth in the market .......intereseting feature !!!!

8. youbetcha1018

youbetcha1018
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Those are great sites. Actually, I have bookmarked all of those sites and will look for online jobs. Great links btw.

9. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm sure monster is one of the sites that indeed.com collates information from at this end scifi, so they probably do in the Indian one too. Salary tools are handy as well - I think Careerbuilder offers that as well if I remember right. They can vary widely of course depending on whether you're working in a big city or a small rural community for example. It's always good to keep your finger on the pulse of your area of expertise, no matter where you are.

10. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Kay!
    I have tried hard to locate salary tools on Careerbuilder as indicated by you!!!
    Will you please post me the link of it!!!

#10 scifi, Nov 19, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  11. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think Kay was referring to the "Free Salary Calculator" from the "Job Search Tools" Scifi. It would also be good to have a look at their other Job Search Tools.

12. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks, Nazreen! You saved me from looking it up. :) That's what I was thinking on, yes. Most of the big job sites have a few of those kinds of tools somewhere. They're worth checking out even just for curiosity's sake.

13. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

thanks for the link !!!
    It's a good tool!
    But I guess salary tool as of Shine is based on a different concept!!!!
    First of all it is based on Indian Conditions...Moreover while indeed shows you the average!!!
    Shine gives you your market worth on the basis of different input factors such as your qualification, experience, projects handled etc. for which they have different rating system!!!