Increase page rank - How can a web page have PR but no backlinks?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by abhirampathak3, Nov 30, 2012.

1. abhirampathak3

abhirampathak3
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Today I visited a site PR2, But the site haven't no back link. How is it possible?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I obviously don't know the details of the specific site you are referring to, so I cannot judge them. However, it is possible for some sites to fake their page rank in the short term. I'm not sure how they do it, but when a webmaster fakes a site's page rank, the site appears to have page rank even though it has none. When a site has page rank but no backlinks, this is sometimes evidence of fake page rank.

3. rudradhar

rudradhar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

PR is not about only having a backlinks. I had site named www.liveinstyle.com. This site is still under construction but it has a PR 2.

PR is all about having a Good quality content, backlinks and traffic and may be the domain age. So if you want to increase your PR than firstly you have to add quality content and pages in your site

4. micheal.burns1

micheal.burns1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Google consider lot of factors but we hardly know few... Thus we cant analyse which factors was rated highy by google in this domain and thus it has got good PR.

May be that domain might be having good domain aging factor.

OR

It could be a .GOV or .EDU domain.

5. Kev H

Kev H
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sorry to disagree - but I will.

PR is ONLY about backlinks.

However it is possible to fake PR; and scammers do so on a frequent basis. Basic rule: NEVER, EVER, buy links based on PR.
    Whether this site is in that category or not I don't know. Or, maybe you are checking the wrong domain (they may have a canonical issue etc) I don't know.

But remember: the visible page rank is NEVER accurate and only updated 3 or 4 times a year. So, maybe there were links pointed to the site at some time but after the last PR update these were removed (the usual scammer trick).

#5 Kev H, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  6. rudradhar

rudradhar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Why you disagree? Can you prove or you have any example that
    . I am 100% sure that PR is not ONLY about backlinks

7. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As far as I know, PR is all about backlinks. But, I have also read that not all backlinks were listed by Google when you do backlink search.

8. Kev H

Kev H
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can do any number of searches and find answers in Googles forums, authorative sites, patents etc etc; but here is just one (which quotes Google, but not sure if it actually cites the source document) which also goes into some of the complexities of PR and how it is modified etc.
    http://searchengineland.com/what-is...ide-for-searchers-webmasters-11068#definition

The closest I can come at this time to agreeing with you is, that once you have a link, how much value is passed can be dependent upon many many variables.

I'm prepared to be proven wrong (along with I imagine almost all, if not all, the rest of the SEO community) but I would need some serious convincing that a single page, with no links EVER having pointed to would have a PR > 0.

Having said all this (and given I never pay much attention to the PR of my pages, but the volume of traffic and conversions) if you can demonstrate that PR can be gained in ways other than links I would genuinely be interested and admit I was wrong.

• Like Like x 2
  9. rudradhar

rudradhar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Have a look on this site http://www.liveinstyle.com. This site is still under development and not launched yet but had a PR 2

10. eurekapsycrille

eurekapsycrille
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Correction, PR only refer to a single webpage. Not to all webpages of a whole website.

There are factors that needed to be reviewed on that. You just told us that you visited a "PR2 site". Assuming you used a backlink checker tool to found no backlinks to that particular page.

Question: Did you check the other pages of that website? Did you dig deeply to see what's on the other pages? Internal linking structure plays a big role in transferring values from one page to another inside that website.

I'm not saying that what I'm thinking is right. But perhaps that website has a good internal linking structure. OR maybe the owner already bought that domain already having a PR.

You did not give enough detail for that. There are many factors that matter.

• Like Like x 1
  11. aliceroth025

aliceroth025
    uix_expand uix_collapse

as to my experience and as an answer to bhirampathak3,

it is possible to have a pagerank with no backlink as it happens to many sites.

Take this site for an example

Copy this to address bar
    If you notice the site has been cache regularly (say once a week)
    It has 0 (zero) backlinks
    221 crawled pages

Note: this is not a fake PR

In my own idea, page rank has something to do with crawled pages, cache-ing interval, a portion of backlinks, the content quality and number of traffics.

• Like Like x 1
  12. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It can be drop domain or fake PR. Mainly of them are drop domain, mean the backlink is point to the previous site and being removed, the PR is still maintain because google not yet update the PR

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

aliceroth025, I get a "This webpage is not available" error at the semphi.com website, it is not opening for me?

14. Kev H

Kev H
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Please don't rely on the 'links:' function in Google. It is not accurate.

Below is a backlink report for the site.

Referring Domains

22 in the last 60 days.

External Backlinks

115 in the last 60 days.

Referring IP addresses: 12

Referring Class C subnets: 12

Indexed URLs: 13

Backlink Breakdown

NoFollow: 7
    Redirects: -
    Frames: -
    Deleted: 6

As you can see there were indeed links passing juice to the page. Even if via other internal pages.

Also, remember, your own internal pages have 'some' juice, even if not linked to from external, all of which play a part in added 'juice' to pages on the site (though I would expect this to be low)

• Like Like x 1
    #14 Kev H, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  15. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If I'm not mistaken, it only shows authoritative sites that link to your page, and not all sites that links to you, unlike what Yahoo does.

16. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nice. Underconstruction = good quality :D

17. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Google is evolving and constantly updating their algo every month. Of course they're getting more and more smarter in doing this. Nowadays, Link is being depreciated (penguin updates) and Co-citation is now the "in" thing in search.

18. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Can't co-citatin be use to outrank competitors?
    I don't fully understood it though.

19. kylesmith025

kylesmith025
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Agree with you there. So far, google is the most used search engine so they have to retain their reputation and run a regular update to keep searches more accurate that also goes with their operand results.

20. nagavenkata

nagavenkata
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It might be the old page rank which is not updated recently. It may have loosed its backlinks now which are exist in the past. It would be the reason. And another reason would be as Fergal says.

• Like Like x 1