Including affiliate/dropshipped products on your e-Commerce site?

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by Soliloquy, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Soliloquy

Soliloquy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I recently (meaning, within the past week) took over a small but thriving online business. It came with an inventory of physical products to personalize, though a number of the items listed on the site are Amazon or Rakuten affiliate products. So far it looks like they only contribute a small percentage to the site's revenue. I'm wondering if I should keep such affiliate products (after all, there's no further effort to me in terms of fulfillment), or ditch them because I worry the separate checkouts will confuse customers? If you've ever faced this decision, how did you handle it?

2. CashAware

CashAware
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, the problem of affiliate products is simple: you can't ensure the quality (of the product of the service), or the delivery, or anything. You have a basic watch position, but not much. But the client will blame you even on the affiliates' behalf. Often, the client, while being used to the matter, will dislike to see shipping fees accumulating and will prefer to have one shipping fee once for all. That's the problem of market places.

So, what's next? Well, I would discourage it, but only if you have enough products to do so. If it's not the case, then perhaps going for affiliates is safer for you, even if the quality isn't what you wanted, or what the client wanted. But a site without products is rarely interesting.