in need of advice

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by bmac22, Jun 5, 2011.

1. bmac22

bmac22
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hey i really need some advice, here my situation

This situation happened at work today. Heres some background info. i work at a lumber yard and today our supervisor went home "sick" around 11am (we start at 8) i work till 4:30.

So since our supervisor went home sick another forklift driver had to cover the shipping office, i was busting my ass all day on the forklift. i was building orders and loading up delivery trucks in the burning hot sun. So 4:20 rolls around and im almost off, my order is 80% complete and i am already sun burned. So my co worker receives a call from the supervisor who went home and i talk to him. he says that if i dont finish building my order i will be written up on monday. basically he is saying i have to work overtime if i dont finish it. since i was so lightheaded and i almost had sun stroke i passed the order along to my co worker and he said he would finish it.. and i left at 4:30.

Now since i did not stay overtime to finish it can they write me up? i am in a union position and our union is pretty strong so if they try and right me up i am going to griev the right up. but i just would like some advice on how to handle this. i mean i busted my ass all day and i get a call at the end of the day saying that if i dont stay overtime i will get written up!! like how much bull**** is that. i dont really know what to do so i would apperciate any advice

thanks in advance,if u need more details please let me know /adv/

2. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, it is still your responsibility to ensure all the job done. if you pass the order to your co worker and he said he would finish it, then you gotta ensure he did it. You need to follow up this, you will be fine as long as your co worker done the job. On the other hand, if your co worker are not complete the job, you need to bare the responsible too

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

bmac22 did you speak to your Union Representative yet? It would be worth giving them a call to get their view on what happened before you speak to your manager at work. Is that something you would be comfortable doing?

Welcome to Business Advice Forum.

• Like Like x 1
  4. td2011

td2011
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would say get some advice from your union first and take it from there. They will surely have some answers, they must have something in place for this type of issue.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

bmac22 another suggestion I would give is that if you are going to be working outside in the sun, wear some sunscreen. Getting sun burnt is obviously not good for you and you will find it much more comfortable to work in the sun if you are not burning up.

• Like Like x 1
  6. bmac22

bmac22
    uix_expand uix_collapse

thank you for the advice, i am going to work today and will likeley have to deal with the situation, my union representative is not the brightest guy but he can be helpful sometimes. if i feel i am done an injustice i will go to the union president. wish me luck! :)

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Good luck with it indeed bmac22, I hope it goes well for you. If you have provided good service to them in the past they should value your employment and hopefully you will have nothing to worry about. Please do post back to let us know how it went.

• Like Like x 1
  8. bmac22

bmac22
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey so i am off work today and it went GREAT!!! turns out my regular supervisor is FURIOUS with the assistant supervisor who threatened to write me up. Mainly because he only showed up for like an hour and a half on saturday when the ordeal happened! the assistant supervisor is in tomorrow so he may be pissed off at me, but the order was finished by the guy i handed it off to before i left!! apparently my union rep says that he was the acting supervisor for saturday when the regular guy left and he is the only guy that would be able to write me up. he said that jokingly since we are good buddies and i am 95% sure i have nothing to worryh about now. So yeah thanks again! this forum seems great and i am sure this wont be the last you hear from me :) thanks again everyone , i am now off to watch game 3 of canucks vs boston GO CANUCKS GO!! :D

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the update bmac22, I'm delighted to hear that it went well for you and I look forward to reading more of your posts here on our forum.

10. angela83

angela83
    uix_expand uix_collapse

So everything went fine, good.

11. Grumpy

Grumpy
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

Glad everything went well for you. In future, bare in mind that you cannot be forced to work overtime. Overtime is your choice to do and your choice only and you can't be punished for not doing it.