Improvement in Vocabulary

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by rudradhar, Aug 10, 2012.

1. rudradhar

rudradhar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Guys

I want to improve my English and Vocabulary. What would be the best way to improve

2. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Read a lot of English books or magazines, then speak out loud in English even though you are not that fluent. It's a good practice to start with. When you routinely do it, it will be something that will be easy for you in the long run.

Also if you find words you are not familiar with, make use of the dictionary or online to check the meaning of the word and how to use it.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

rudradhar you might find this earlier discussion on a similar topic helpful - English Communication.

4. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You've come to the right place - forums are great for developing conversations which should help! M.

5. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's right. Forums can be one of the best ways to also improve your conversation with people. Though you don't speak but what's being improve is your composition.

6. lwonnaco

lwonnaco
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Please remember that you have a couple different sets of vocabulary inside you. First is the spoken and written vocabulary. It is not "Him's car.", it is "His car." Go down to your local library and sit with an English Thesaurus for an hour. Randomly flip through it and find one word. Write it down on a small card or paper and also write down one sentence using that word. Make 10 of these every day. By the end of the week, you'll have 50 new words along with the right way to use them in a sentence. Secondly, you have a texting/computer vocabulary. "Hey BFF, ur gr8t" means "Hey best friend, you are great!" As you come across the texting/computer vocabulary words, put those onto small cards or paper also. Consider how to take your texting/computer vocabulary and use it over in the spoken and written vocabulary. Not only will you sound smarter, you will have actually gained knowledge on vocabulary.

• Like Like x 1
  7. remonray

remonray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Your username seems Nepali?are you?
    While,talking about improving english just keep on posting/reading posts in forums and posts this will increase.I also used to have lots of problems in grammar while writing and posting.And,still now I am not that perfect and have errors in grammar,phrases but still I keep on trying and learning from mistakes.So,just keep on practicing.

8. Bagchi

Bagchi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can also do some grammar exercises. I will suggest exercise book on grammar by A.J. Thomson & martinet. Also ready as much as you can. thanks...

9. marriott

marriott
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Read English news paper and dictionary on regular basis. You can study online grammar and e books also. Start some conversation and you will get confidence after conversation in English.

10. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Dictionary has always been great help for me. Else, News papers, Blogs, Magazines are better ways to improve your vocabulary.

• Like Like x 1
  11. derrickfowler

derrickfowler
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think reading is the best way to improve you vocabulary, and most of all if you are really interested in learning new words, do write down any new words you listen and read and when you get some free time look for the meanings of all those words you have written down.

12. isisplinfo

isisplinfo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Start Blogging. Choose something you are passionate about and start writing daily. Read Your Post and try to improve every time.
    I did it in past and it really helped me. Hope it may work for you too.
    Good Luck Mate!

13. JackT333

JackT333
    uix_expand uix_collapse

you should read English books and news paper.

14. AnushaJain

AnushaJain
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can improve your vocab by taking new words fom dictionary at regular basis.Then gradually start reading books,papers,blogs and these forums will increase your interactive quality as well and will help you to increase your confidence level.

15. janecristy

janecristy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I read local English papers online and discover the difficult word on dictionary reference dot com or other available online dictionaries. I also love reading informative posts in forum discussions, blogs, and various website.