Importing Goods into Australia. Help?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by andrer08, Jul 30, 2013.

1. andrer08

andrer08
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have recently started up my own small business in Western Australia and am intending to import items from Germany and the UK to sell to the Australian market. I'm just wondering how I go about it. Such as:
    -Do I need a customs broker?
    -Do I need an import license?
    - And most importantly when do I pay the tax? Is the tax paid before the goods are released from customs or is it when I sell the items and then forward the tax collected to the ATO (Australian Tax Office). Or is it collected both times and I have to pay two lots of tax.
    I'm very confused, and don't want a nasty surprise of being hit with fines for not doing things correctly. If you can offer any advice or assistance, please comment.

2. alicemenezes

alicemenezes
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Consult a business lawyer from your country to give you the best advice depending on your current business status.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum andrer08, thanks for joining. I'm not familiar with Australian tax laws. Is there a tax office or authority in your country that you could contact. The tax offices in Ireland are very friendly and helpful to small businesses in Ireland, who have questions in relation to their tax obligations. Perhaps it is the same in Australia?

4. Roin chow

Roin chow
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think you need talking with the importing company from your area ,they can help solve all of the problems but you should have enough money to afford the goods and fees of transportation. I am ROBIN from CHINA , Why not import from China ?

5. Priyanka Sharma

Priyanka Sharma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hiring a BDM for improving business

6. AnushaJain

AnushaJain
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You may hire a business broker who will give you all the information related to the profits,trade and taxes..He will take some commission to give advice but that will be much profitable to you I think....

7. Nathan26

Nathan26
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think you must consult with a lawyer in that state where you start your business.Because the state laws may vary for different ares and also he must help you about all the document that is necessary for that import and also tell you that how can you complete all that process.