Important Reminder on the Referral Contest

Discussion in 'Announcements Archive' started by Fergal, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Please note that if you refer someone who comes here for one or two days and makes 10 or 20 posts but then we never see them again, I will assume that they are not interested in this forum and they will not be counted for the purpose of this contest.

First of all I'd like to thank everyone who is participating in this contest and working hard to help promote our business forum. Please note the following;

1. Only members who have made at least ten quality posts on our forums will count as referrals, for the purpose of this competition. The emphasis is on the word "quality".

If a member comes here and makes posts that are not considered helpful to the community, they will not be counted as a referral. If the people you refer don't appear to have a genuine interest in the topics discussed on Business Advice Forum, they will not be counted.

2. The Admin's decision as to the contest winners, rules, etc., will be final. I remind you of this because there have been lots of members referred that will not be counted as per point 1 and I don't want this to cause any ill feeling among members. The unfortunate truth is that this contest has probably done more harm than good to BAF (I blame myself for this) and future contests will not be referral based.
    As we are coming close to the end of the competition I've removed access to the referrals page.

Thanks for your interest and participation,

2. Yana91

Yana91
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sounds reasonable but is there a way I can check my referrals.
    I need that feature as I am running an advertising promotion for BAF and want to see the results.

3. harisjmi

harisjmi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Same here ... i also doing the same thing.
    There should be some alternative to see referrals stats.

4. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Fergal,

On first seeing this post, I was shocked. Yes, Because many of guys who have high referral counts spend money for promoting BAF at other places, if no one has done that at least I have done that.

After reading it I think you are somewhat true that BAF has been spammed a lot , I had also started one thread regarding that before if you remember.

But, I still think you should do something for those members who have worked hard for getting new members. At least I think it is a type of work. And I know that I have worked hard for winning the contest. The forum was spammed by the members who joined under, not by the members of BAF. So i think you should do something.

At last you are the judge I or any other member of BAF cannot do anything.

Thanks

5. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Frankly speaking, the referrals contests is not helping BAF much and i dont actually support referrals contests. People can simply hire 100 poster to make 10 posts each for the contests, or saying if you need quality posts, you can hire few poster to make quality posts.

10 posts is too less, 50 posts will be much better. Anyway, wish BAF really can get benefit from this referrals contests

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

OK I've opened the referrals page again. But please note that I will be closing it again in the next few days. So please take all the info you need from it before then.

If you have been doing something that resulted in Spam posts here on BAF, please stop doing it. It wont help you to win the contest and if the spam continue I reserve the right to disqualify members from the contest.

Thanks Sigma, I agree with you and have learnt from the experience.

7. Yana91

Yana91
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks admin for opening the referrals page again.
    But it seems my Advertising campaign has resulted in lots of non-posting members.
    What a waste :(

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've added a note in bold to the first post in this thread.

Thanks for your efforts and sorry that it's worked out that way Yana91, that's the way things go sometimes. But don't give up just yet, there have been lots of referrals of people who made quite a few posts, that will not be counted in this contest, for the reasons I've given above.

9. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Fergal,

Nice decision taken but I think not at good time because the contest will be ending soon, As the posts are : 24,377. I think you should have thinked of this before. It's ok, I hope this rule makes the contest successful.

BTW: I am very happy with that decision.:)

Thanks

10. harisjmi

harisjmi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Even i agree with Fergal... one should not give up.
    As a member our job is to refer people here and help the forum .... but if they don't post that's a different thing .
    In my opinion members who never post should be deleted after a fixed point of time.

11. Yana91

Yana91
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am definitely not giving up...already invested too much to run away now. I will try till last minute .:)
    About the new rule, I like it as it will help in recruiting active members but I am afraid that there isn't much time left for you to judge if members are active as contest will end soon.

12. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm really glad you enforced that rule.
    There are lots of new members here who posts crappy messages and some really doesn't help. And most of them turn out to be a spam or just increase his/her post count so he/she can post on the Member's Ads section.

13. NealAAL

NealAAL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

While I agree with the admin's decision. Newbies, like myself should also be given time to poke around our noses as to which topics we can post effectively. We who are willing to make posts also consider where our interests lie when posting. We are those who join whose intentions and expectations are serious enough, knowing that there is something to be gained in forums such as this.

14. dahlia84

dahlia84
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Instead of referrals contest, we could have had "Useful Member of the Month" (or Week). Those 500 USD could have been used in an efficient way. Just my point of view and I know I am too late in saying that.

15. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nope you are not late, you are on the time because Fergal is deciding the next contest.

16. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks everyone for your replies, the contest will be ending very soon.

Thanks Dahlia, I fully agree with you, you live and learn and I won't be in a hurry to run a referrals contest again.

17. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Congratulations All!! The contest has been ended now. BAF have achieved 25,000 Posts today.

Thanks to all contributors who helped in achieving this target, a special thanks to Fergal also.

18. NealAAL

NealAAL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Most Useful

This idea is great! Better start thinking about the mechanics for this one. If I may suggest, members nominating and why, then voting?

Nice one Dahlia84, thanks.

19. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

NealAAL, the details of the next contest will be announced within the next few days.