Importance of surrounding yourself with the right people

Discussion in 'Articles & Tutorials' started by Frankers, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Frankers

Frankers
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I went to a private high school when I was younger in the city of Anaheim and it cost a ton of money. Fortunately, the kids in my school were very good students unlike myself. In fact, many of the kids used to make fun of me because I wasn’t so great.

I remember, in first grade, crying because I was such a bad student compared to the rest. I cried the most usually after the most behaved student award. My first grade teacher, Mrs. Bertiz gave the coveted most behaved student award designating a large teddy bumble-bee to the person who deserved it the most.

She would pass out this big bumble bee after we all watched Mr. Rogers every Monday morning and I remember waiting with much enthusiasm to get my chance to hold it. But every time one boy, who was actually the most behaved, would get the bumble bee, and he would have it the entire day on his desk.

As all the rest of the students looked at him with such envy, they became disgusted. Although we didn’t know it in first grade, we all set our goal to get that bumble bee or die trying. I remember noticing kids on a mission to get that thing and so was I.

The kids in my class would suddenly cross their hands on their desk, be extra polite, and work diligently to become the most behaved. I used to learn different techniques of behavior from the other students in my class. For instance, I saw one of my friends always try to be the first in line before recess to show that he was following orders quickly. I began to do the same. At the end of the year, I got the most improved award, which at first lead me to believe I was the best.

My point with this story is the pervasiveness of the girls and boys around me on my character. I began to work harder, I began to see things differently, and, most importantly, I became a better little boy. To this day, I don’t believe I would have done so if it wasn’t for the culture of my first grade class.

And the story really relates to everything in your life. Imagine a time when you were at your best. Were you around people that were performing their best too? Didn’t you start to act differently, walk differently, and think differently?

When you are around successful people, you start to truly feel bad if you yourself on not as accomplished. Every time you hear good news of one of your friends surmounting a great feat, you feel horrible. Disgust is a good emotion according to Jim Rohn. He says that disgust is the main thing that causes change.

The quickest way to improvement is to feel disgusted with your circumstance. So You have to eliminate those in your life that are making you feel too comfortable. And that can be very difficult because those that are making you worse may be your family members. If you are performing at your worst, take a minute to notice the people surrounding you.

One thing I am certain of is that we are all either helping or polluting ourselves and others. This is true with EVERY SINGLE action we take. There is no in between. So be very careful with what you are doing to others. Be more mindful of the people you allow in your life that pollute your air.

Being around polluters affects you in a major way. Your performance will begin to lack. Your character will be weak. You won’t believe in yourself as much. You will take all the attitudes and beliefs of the people who surround you. Be careful.

So how do you seek out those successful in your life to uplift you? You have to pick strong reasons to go out and meet them. Go to church, befriend leaders at work, and seek them out. Start to notice them everywhere you go and don’t be afraid to ask them for a cup of coffee or just to hang out.

You have to be the helper, not the polluter. Successful people don’t want to be around polluters, they want to avoid them. So if you constantly improve to become better, they will naturally be drawn to you. For this reason, you should always put your best foot forward.

http://thebusinessvisionary.com go here to find more articles

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Some great points there, thanks for sharing it with us.

You quote Jim Rohn in a few of your posts, I haven't read any of his books. Is there one of them that you would particularly recommend?

Thanks!

3. Frankers

Frankers
    uix_expand uix_collapse

yea 'the art of exceptional living' and 'the 12 pillars'

• Like Like x 1
  4. fish

fish
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Great experience.

5. Jay

Jay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well said, you have mentioned some very key points here and I feel everyone has knowledge to gain from this. Thanks for the share and great read! :)