Importance of Foreign Language in a Business

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by srhbusiness, Aug 6, 2016.

1. srhbusiness

srhbusiness
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello to all users here! My name is Steven and I'm writing an article on the importance of being fluent in a foreign language in the business world. I have found some articles on the web on the subject, but I wanted to gain more input from all types of business people (including users here). So, I wanted to ask you all here on business advice forum; Why is learning/being fluent in a foreign language important and vital to your business or online marketing? Are there any reasons any of you all can think of that shows learning/being fluent in a foreign language is not necessary for a business or online market? Obviously there are different types of businesses out there with different needs, so I would like to get as much input as possible from you all. Thank you for taking time for reading this post and I hope to hear from you all soon.

2. ManjuralHaque

ManjuralHaque
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Foreign Language is much more important now a days. Because it's totally impossible to flourish your business without knowing a foreign language like English. You need to communicate with others using English only. So foreign language is much more important.

3. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

First, there is no such thing as "flourish your business", however, you can "make your business flourish", which, ironically, proves your point. Second, for many of the members here, English is not a foreign language. However, other members, from other countries, do speak a foreign language, other than English. Business Advice Forum is an English forum, so all members should be able to comprehend, read, and write in proper English. This leads me to the point you were apparently trying, but failed, to make. English is used all over the world, almost to the point that when someone mentions a "foreign language", they mean a language other than English. As a result, your post, as written, contradicts itself. You say that we need to communicate in English, but then say that means a foreign language is important. It requires further explanation, which you did not provide.
    Which leads us back to srhbusiness's original question. When an American Business, or any business headquartered in a country where English is their native language, does business in a foreign country, is it necessary to learn, and communicate, in that country's language, or should the other country communicate in English?

#3 Joseph.Shivell, Aug 16, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  4. ManjuralHaque

ManjuralHaque
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for your guidance. Actually I tried to understand that English language helps to communicate well with the others people.

5. VerdinaNET

VerdinaNET
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Undoubtedly nowadays english must be as native language if developing a business. I think every person has to study more and more languages because every known language is a perspective to success. The more languages you know the more of a person you will be, and you'll be glad to know that your money and your business are in good hands.

6. w3web

w3web
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Concentrate on the languages which your business has large deals. So then you can better communicate with the other nation's people. The foreign language can be anything such as french, Italian, and many more. If we know the mother tongue of the customers and communicate then they are more impressed. But ensure quality, so then you can also able to beat their competition.

7. allcitycleaning

allcitycleaning
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The world is moving to English and will continue in that direction. Foreign language is not necessary unless you are looking to penetrate a foreign country or service a sub-population in the U.S.
    Julia

8. JuliaK

JuliaK
    uix_expand uix_collapse

• Promotional Links are not allowed in normal forum posts. This post has been edited to remove a promotional link.
    Being fluent in foreign language depends on business and its target audience. I have experience with my friend's website, they are targeting globally but their content are not developed in other non-English audience, in result they are not able to expand their business motives beyond a certain areas.

So it will certainly enhance your ability to do international business. This would be the skills that you/your employer actually needs. Foreign language capability is a pluspoint, but not essential.

#8 JuliaK, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2016
  9. Yomu zoku

Yomu zoku
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think it is only required if your firm located in Different countries, or you are a MNC brand of number of countries, so that time you can hire people who are good to help you as bridge of communication and make your business smooth. It is somehow necessary, completely depend on your business working area.

#9 Yomu zoku, Sep 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  10. businessgeorge

businessgeorge
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with what the previous posters said (or what I thought they were saying, anyway) - this largely depends on whether we're talking about a business based in an English-speaking country or not. If English is the language most of your employees are profficient in, then you have easier access to English-speaking markets. "Foreign language" in this case means other than English. I would argue that for many businesses from this category, "being fluent" in a foreign language is not entirely necessary, especially if they are not targetting non-English-speaking markets. And a lot of business can be done in English around the world.

If the company is instead based in a country with different official language, foreign languages include English as well. Now "being fluent" becomes much more important, because without English, you will have trouble expanding abroad, securing foreign imports for your production etc.
    Well, this really hinges on your definition of being fluent. Is my business fluent in a language if I have one employee who translates content for me? In that case I would argue it is not necessary for a business to be "fluent" - you can easily hire professional translators to translate content for you when you need it. And simple content like short emails etc. can usually be translated to a "good enough" or better level with machine translators like YarakuZen or others. For content marketing (let's say blog posts) I would generally advise to use professional translators who have experience in your field.

So all this honestly depends on the business we're talking about and their needs. Being profficient in foreign languages can be very useful, as it closes the gaps and allows you to communicate better with your partners and customers. However, for a lot of businesses, it might not be all that important.

11. AlbenA

AlbenA
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Speaking a foreign language is a must, especially for business. And I don't even consider English as a foreign language. I've been learning English for 3 years and every time when I have to speak in English during a meeting or when I talk to a customer I realize how important it is nowadays to speak foreign language. So having in mind the globalization of the world besides your native language and english you should learn another language. The choice depend on your ideas for future development and on your needs.

12. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I visited the YarakuZen website, and it appears to be limited to translating from any language to only one language. To be truly useful, if a company is doing business in multiple countries needs software that will translate from the users native language to whatever language the user needs. One very important limitation to software is that it can translate the words, but not the meaning, which leads to some very strange sentences - I see them all the time in this forum.

13. businessgeorge

businessgeorge
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's actually quite a good point. I find that (machine) translators often fail at longer text where meaning might not be plain to see (which is why I use them mostly for simple emails and take care to avoid difficult syntax). Those are the cases where you want to use the services of an actual human translator - or even pick up a new language yourself, if you're so inclined..!
    To your point about YarakuZen - I think you can use it to translate the same text to multiple languages, just as you would with Google Translate or Bing or something, but I am no expert.

And you are most definitely correct in saying that what businesses often need is their content in multiple languages (or as many as possible) for the user's convenience. However, I have yet to see an example of a site that is not owned by a huge company and is translated into more than two or three foreign languages (okay, actually, of the top of my head, Lorem ipsum generator at lipsum.com is translated into plenty of languages, but that is community effort and an extremely simple website :)). So for many businesses this is also about judging (and juggling) budgets vs needs and benefits.

14. VerdinaNET

VerdinaNET
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It depends also where are you from. If you are from english speaking country its easier. You are one language ahead :) From my point of view a person who wants to have above average chance for success needs to speak at least 2 foreign languages.

15. Abdulrahman

Abdulrahman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yea i have some issues with English as I'm not native speaker and I find it very difficult to communicate with the native speaker and can't send my message to them as it should be , although there are some countries that also can speak well in English and they can communicate with the native speaker like India, South Africa and many more .

16. Martha Graham

Martha Graham
    uix_expand uix_collapse

if you deal with different type of client you have to understand with them . Foreign languages are also important to those working in business, communications and nearly every other career track.
    Even if your potential clientele speak English, there isn’t a better way to understand their needs and cultural desires than to learn their language.