Importance of attitude management in WORK

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by ken8558, Apr 13, 2008.

1. ken8558

ken8558
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I believe that attitude is the key to success. A person with a bad attitude will get nowhere in life. In fact, those with attitude problems are always alienated sooner or later.
    Furthermore, when we are working,the competition is already very stiff and therefore, brusque and tactless manners will just make one the main target to be pushed down the corporate ladders faster.
    In comparison, if you are nice to everyone, news will soon spread and you get a better chance of getting the much-sought after promotion. To illustrate my point,let's just assume you are boss with 2 candidates for a promotion. One's smart but with a major attitude problem but the other's fairly smart and gets along well with everyone. Guess who will you pick?
    Not only that, great and pleasant attitude will definitely be to your advantage especially when you needed help, say from the office boy to help with your photocopies or letter-sending. He will definitely be more willing to help if you are always nice to him.

What do you think?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

A positive attitude and working well with your colleagues are vitally important factors in in business and employment success. This has contributed to the growth of a range of self-help books in the area of Emotional Intelligence. Many researchers state that emotional intelligence is the single most important factor in obtaining success.

Just making an effort to smile will make you feel better and make you more approachable to others.

3. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The key to success is really a chain of keys.
    Positive attitude
    Pleasant demeanor
    Time management
    Proper, or realistic, goal setting
    Desire
    and, lastly,
    Drive

If you lack any of these you will not succeed. More attributes would need to be added as the business grows, especially if dealing with clients and employees.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Having a positive demeanour is great and helps you be more liked by others. Do you also think that it is an important factor in financial / success?

5. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It is all about networking Fergal, and having a pleasant demeanor is important, even on the net.

If you do affiliate work and need to talk to your account manager will the account manager be more receptive to a pleasant person? Financially you can make more money negotiating your commission rates, so it helps there.

If you are pitching your links on forums and blogs having a pleasant demeanor can help you out in conversations, such as this one. Being pleasant I could post a link in this post that you would be more apt to click on, and once clicked, you would be more apt to follow through. Had I gone off on a stupid rant of saying nasty things for not getting it you would be less apt to read anything I posted, let alone click my links. People get money for having you click links.

Now, doing face to face business activities. Which would you rather deal with, a person that is unpleasant or a person with the better outlook? Which would you rather pay for materials or services?

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Good points Pendelton, I'd definitely prefer to deal with people who are pleasant, polite and helpful. Most high profile and successful entrepreneurs do give the appearance of having a pleasant demeanour. There are some exceptions but I suppose they are exceptions that prove the rule.

7. JayonNet

JayonNet
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I do agree, A person with a bad attitude will get nowhere in life.

Positive attitude will help greatly in developing a self confidence, which is necessary in almost all aspect of life in this competitive world. And if it pair-up with the trait of "Time management" in realistic world, success can't be far away.

Another very important characteristic needed to succeed in business is to judge the person, one is confronting. If one has an eye to judge a person in front of him, the path to success would be fairly easy one.

Lastly, just a bit of a LUCK to get ahead of rest. I also believe, that it's not the best who always wins the race.

8. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

There are exceptions, for every rule of thumb there is someone ready to wag an index finger in your face. You got the appearance part right also, some people can fake it really well and just be an ass, some do not bother to fake it and are just asses. Those are the people that rely on Jay's luck factor.

In face to face meetings I agree, and would most likely tend, to add character judgment.
    Online it is not as necessary but can come in handy. A suitable addition to the list, thanks JayonNet.

9. CLSbrunette

CLSbrunette
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Have you guys read or watched "The Secret" by Rhonda Byrne? It may sound like a digression, but it tells you the basic thing to follow in most everything we want to achieve and that would be positive thinking. You can also read on "the law of attraction."

This principle will surely work in the work place or elsewhere. :)

10. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I haven't watched nor read "The Secret" yet. To tell you the truth, this is the first time that I've heard of it. After I googled and read some websites about "The Secret", I would definitely get myself a copy of that movie or the book. Rhonda Byrne was even featured in Oprah.

Thanks for sharing the secret CLSbrunette! :)

11. Drench

Drench
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hmm. I feel that having a good attitude is great especially for working with otheres.
    If you get in an arguement the best thing to do is just stop it, and try to go on to something else. Also.. Having a bad attitude can sometimes be a good thing. So others will know how you are and what they shouldn't do around you. These are my opinions.

12. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Welcome to the Business Advice Forum Drench!

Sorry but I don't know how having a bad attitude can sometimes be a good thing. With a bad attitude, others might be wary and watch what they shouldn't do around you but with this, you also won't have any friends at work. With a bad attitude, people will also try to avoid you in the workplace and don't want to work with you in a team.

13. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

yeah Nazree, Bad attitude isn't good. It will cause troubles. You can handle situations with positive attitude and it's not that hard too. Positive attitude will bring peace and friendliness. Whereas Bad attitude will result in something bad.

14. prettysue

prettysue
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have an experience being in employed in a company. I believe that having a good attitude towards others and good work attitude will help you climb up the career ladder one step higher.

However, if you are a person of principle, there are tendencies that your boss will not promote you because he can't control you. Politics is the company is always present. Sometimes, those who are less deserving than you is promoted because of his connections with the higher management.

But I still believe working in an honest to goodness manner will bare you the fruits of your labor.

15. deepak_sharma

deepak_sharma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well your attitude is what decide your overall impression on your customers. Good attitude always attract more and more customers while bad attitude repel them.

16. AnushaJain

AnushaJain
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Attitude towards achieving the goal is important.One should know how to deal will the co-workers and the juniors.Team work is important as well.