Image Optimization

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Mark Jackson, May 30, 2011.

1. Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello Buddies,

This thread will help you in Image Optimization.How we optimized our website images so you have a good chance so avail it.

1- Keywords in alt text, text around the image, image name, page title;
    2- Preferred image formatting – jpg;
    3- Separate SE accessible image folder;
    4- Image freshness.
    5- Enabled image search option at Google webmaster tool.
    6- Reasonable image file size
    7- Limited number of images per page;
    8- Popular and reliable photo sharing hosting

• Like Like x 2
  2. divyun

divyun
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I get all of them except no.2. How does image format make a difference?? Are you talking about size?

3. xanderlangley

xanderlangley
    uix_expand uix_collapse

All the points are really good and useful.Thanks for sharing, can you please mention a list of image hosting sites?

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Here's a good list of image hosting sites. Does that cover what you need or do you have a specific requirement?

5. jakson0100

jakson0100
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I hope this image SEO tips is really work for us and from this tricks we can find our images on google search.

6. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have also personally experienced that Images with Tags and descriptions return more accurate results and are highly optimized..If you use the same description or keyword as of image in your article then Image Optimization is increased upto several time as experienced by me..

7. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Preferred in what way?

The type of image compression to use will depend on what needs to be shown. In many cases, it makes far more sense to use compression methods other than jpg to achieve the best results and avoid the lossy compression. There's no one size fits all solution there, the important point is that the file size is as small as possible while retaining the level of quality required for it to work. A smushed png, while often a little larger in size, can give significantly better results in terms of the image quality and quality/file size.

I'd suggest it's a far more common problem that sites use larger image sizes than is required (using CSS to reduce to size), an area where very significant savings can be made.

8. Grumpy

Grumpy
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

I'd also agree with PaulPinnacle. I wouldn't go for a .jpg over a .png. While png's are slightly higher in file size (normally), I'd rather an image be higher in size than sacrifice image quality. 95% of the time, image quality is the best using a .png file format.

9. John Million

John Million
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good advice. I wonder if google will begin giving preference for its own new image format http://is.gd/Gf0XPa against jpegs - doing so would incentivize adoption of the format, which is google's goal.

10. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

They kind of already do, in an indirect way and with user experience in mind.

Their own image compression technique was developed specifically around high compression for web use, allowing for faster page load times. The load time has a dramatic impact on user experience (various studies out there and personal experience showing that reducing page load times can have a DRAMATIC impact on conversion rates) and is rewarded both in the algorithms and in user behaviour. It isn't a case of "their format gets a preference" per se, more that using a compression method which gives the best result for the lowest file size has a preference. Having said that, the general reaction to WebP is that the resulting images aren't of a high enough standard to replace jpeg's in general (it really depends on the image in question and an element of subjectivity) and it's been very slow to gain traction.

• Like Like x 1
  11. bsk0609

bsk0609
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Image optimization gives you a leg up on your competitors who may not have implemented this strategy. Image optimization is a technique to make a image readable. For this purpose ALT tag ( Alternative tag) is quite suitable. Image optimization is done to prevent your site from becoming unnecessarily slow.

Image optimization is an art few have mastered. Useful image editing tools exist that allow images to be edited to reduce their file size while retaining image quality. Image optimization is not that difficult yet many fail to implement common best practices for optimizing the images on their web properties. With the search engine results pages (SERPs) moving away from traditional text results to more dynamic results pages such as the case with Google Universal Search and blended search, the importance of optimizing things such as video and image becomes increasingly important. Image Optimization is one of the most important factors for your website run without any problems. As if the images embedded within your website wouldn't be optimized, then they will grasp a huge bandwidth and will resulting into very heavy load laid on your website.