I'm terrible with getting my projects off the ground!!!

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by MeanBossLady, Apr 22, 2013.

1. MeanBossLady

MeanBossLady
    uix_expand uix_collapse

One of my bigger goals is to get one of my website projects running. The problem is is that I have zero money (I'm going to school, and working full time, and live with those big bills like rent and car payment) which means I can't hire anyone for the artwork or the programming I need. However, i did learn some PHP to make the basics of the site and it's pretty basic! My problem is, is that I can't seem to find an artist who is a good fit! They either don't match what I'm looking for (despite the fact I stated what I was looking for) or their terms are too wacky or they have an attitude issue. I'm just so lost when it comes to contracts as well! I'm in the process of writing up an ad to look for a lead artist to completely take over this portion of the project (artwork is a consistent growing aspect of the site) but I just have no idea how to set the terms for the contracts needed. I wish I knew people who could help me directly but I'm at a loss for words! I feel helpless and useless.

I work in retail and I don't have a large network at all so I really feel doomed and discouraged from everything I do. This isn't the only time I've had trouble getting things off the ground.

What do I do? Where do I look?

2. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Are you looking for a designer or you want help doing it yourself since you cannot afford to pay?

If you need designer at affordable rates then you can use freelance workers which you can find at freelance work sites like freelancer, elance etc.

You can also start a thread here in the advertising section listing your requirements.

If you can list the kind of work you expect then that would help you get better response.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

MeanBossLady can you please tell us a little more about the design work you want done? We might be able to find a Plan B that will help you to get it.

4. MeanBossLady

MeanBossLady
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The website I'm making is a virtual pet website. Basically, people sign up to play games and earn points to buy virtual things and take care of their virtual pets. The site is constnatly growing so I need people to make pets (which resemble real world animals) as well as maps and logos and buttons and basically everything. The images need to consistently flow in because users want new pets or variations and new games, maps, features, etc. There's a small niche for these types of websites but if I can finally get my idea to roll with the type of art style I'm looking for, there are unlimited possibilities and I feel it will be incredibly successful. I'm just looking for an artist who has the right style I'm looking for. It has been quite tough.

My problem is my iron grip on everything. I had an artist for the website, and his artistic ability is incredible but he disappeared several times and well, the last of the images was terrible and he admitted to that. He just wasn't a good fit. I've paid close to 200 dollars for samples from all different types of artists (I know that seems like a small amount to most business owners) and I've seen some nice work but no one wants to bargain on their terms or wants to penny pinch for every second of their time.

So to make people want to be a part of the site, I'm giving a lead role to the individual who can invest their own time into the artwork and managing (because they will need to find more team members.)

I'm really looking for a team of people to get this project off the ground and we can all profit as a team.

5. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

From what I understand you want everything to be perfect and the way you want. What you could do is if you are unable to find the right person online you should approach someone in your vicinity so that you could work closely and have better coordination with him. If you have a team which is nearer to you then you would be able to get the work done the way you want since communication would be much better that way.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

MeanBossLady have you considered running contests for the designs you are looking for? Have a number of different designers submit their best work and then pick the one you feel would work best for your site. If your community is large enough you might even be able to run the contest on your own site.