im hoping to get some advice on my small business

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by juststartinout, Oct 26, 2011.

1. juststartinout

juststartinout
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hi there everyone, im new in this forum so..ill be in your care from now on!

a summary about me:
    - im a small business owner in a wholesale market in jakarta, indonesia.
    - the market is huge and almost everyone sells wholesale goods, ranging from hats to shoes.
    - myself, i sell children clothes mainly: shirts, tees and pants.
    - i get these goods from various places. i have many suppliers, but i do not make any goods myself.
    - people from all over the country come to this wholesale market and purchase goods to bring back to their respective towns to sell.
    - my customers come from nearby towns and some international ones (sri lanka and india for example)

what i found out after a couple of years in the business:
    - there is the peak season, and the off season.
    - the peak season is 1) the few months before the muslim holiday come (around august) and 2) the few months before the sri lanka holidays come (around april)
    - this gives me approximately 7 months of off season in a year.
    - during the off season, the wholesale market is very quiet (at least for children clothes)
    - during these 7 months i can safely say 98% of the market is quiet, 2% of the market is quite lively.

my problem:
    - i find that 7 months of unproductivity is taking its toll on me.
    - this means little or no sale on most days.
    - the money i earn from these 7 months can barely cover my expenses (workers wage and rent)

what i want:
    - i wish to increase productivity during these 7 months
    - i wish to be the 2% of the market

what i think can be done:
    - i think i need to make my own goods under my own brand so i can compete with the rest of the people who have the same goods as me. (my suppliers supply them too)
    - i have made some labels under my shop name. and because i have no factory or money for it i have asked my suppliers quotes of making me some tees.
    - i plan to ask them to make me tees (and only me) then attach my brand label to those tees so im the only one in the market who sells that.

my worries:
    - is this the only thing i can do?
    - i worry that theres alot other things i could have done or i could do but im just really stressed out now.

my fellow friends in this forum: can anyone give me some advice, anyone that is in the business, or anyone that have been in the situation that can share your views on this matter, i will greatly appreciate it. thank you everyone

2. James Greg

James Greg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It seems that your suppliers are getting more benefits than you as they have a wider choice of buyers. Starting a brand is a good choice but not easy and it would require some extra money and creativity. Usually Tees are sold on the designs and the material used. You would have to excel in both as once you start this trend your competitors would do the same. I think you should try some internet marketing as well and target a wider market. Have your own website made and display your offers on it too. Although this would not be an easy task but if you plan your moves right you might start earning in those 7 months too and become a part of that 2%.

3. juststartinout

juststartinout
    uix_expand uix_collapse

thank you so much for the reply, what you have said makes so much sense.
    i will definitely try to do some internet marketing, sort of a blog/website. slowly but surely.
    any other ideas will be greatly appreciated.

cheers