If you were to work in a joint venture on a web project, how would you go about it?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by surge, Aug 13, 2013.

1. surge

surge
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Say if you want to start a new website project and you need some partners to help you out. How would you make that happen? As far as i understand, people would hesitate to invest some money because of trust issues. But money is important, and it will be needed initially to setup up the site, for content, promotions, etc. So i need to know how to work on such a project professionally in harmony where multiple people from around the world are involved. Sharing responsibilities amongst people involved in a project is important to make the project successful and to work as a team.

I am currently working on few projects which involves people from different countries, but we all know each other personally or through close friends so everything is happening professionally and normal as it should be. But what if we were to work with strangers from forum?

Please put your thoughts/inputs.

PS: I am posting this thread in this board because its related to Bizops and Partnership, sorry if this is a wrong category.

2. AnushaJain

AnushaJain
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You may show your work to the one to whom you want the partner,if he is imp;ressed by your projects and if he needs them,he will definitely invest on it..

3. AmbitiousStudent

AmbitiousStudent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

there shouldn't be a problem if you have those strangers work for you at a low level. it's when you start hiring the experienced workers who feel they deserve more, not necessarily in terms of wages but to be more involved and would like to participate in the big discussions, have a say, debate etc. Outsiders won't yet have an understanding of how the team works, what their beliefs are and how to approach it.

I don't know why you are limiting yourself to the business forums. Go on to websites that have a whole host of freelancers and from there you will see what these contractors are really like from the feedback. I'm not sure if I can advertise them here but you will find them if you google search it.

4. surge

surge
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I didn't mean to hire people to work on a project, but to start something entirely new with a small group of people. For an example, if i were to assemble such a virtual team to contribute and work together, i can take care of the finance for domain, hosting, advertising and other guys can take care of getting content, marketing methods, monetization, etc. But the idea and plan should be solid so that it becomes a success. We can share login details of monetizing partner (adnetworks) and such so that everybody feels that they are in control and are aware of whats happening. There has to be some people who would like to work on such projects in a group because that will help everybody if different minds and experiences come together.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

When looking at a project like that my first priority would be to consider the past experience of the people I am working with. I would look at the projects they worked on in the past and the contribution they had made to those projects. This would give a good basis for deciding whether or not they can contribute positively to the new project.

What kind of project do you have in mind surge, is it an open source software project or a community based content site?

6. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It would depend on the kind of people you are looking for and what you expect from them. Based on this you can source people. But as Fergal said you need to make sure the are capable enough for the work and you must have background check to see what they have done in the past and if they would be fit for the role.

7. Justyn Franko

Justyn Franko
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Step 1: Figure out who your target market is
    Step2: COntact people in niche via email/social whom run said websites for target niche
    step 3: pay them for JV or list sharing.
    step 4: Rinse and repeat