"If you were an SEO of a large company, what would you include in your 2011 strategy?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Jerlene, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Matt Cutts shares SEO strategy advice for large companies

[YOUTUBE]vLp9Qf99DCI[/YOUTUBE]

2. Valentine

Valentine
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Strategies for large companies can be quite challenging.such companies would in most cases be market leaders and the appropriate strategy would be to remain a leading force in the market.my take is that a company can explore a section of the market it isnt currently enjoying,explore the option of adding a new product using already owned tools and technology or create smaller and cheaper smaller versions of its products to leverage on customers that coudnt afford its innitial product due to price constraint.

3. DaveB

DaveB
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How much do large companies have to really worry about SEO?

I mean how hard will it ever be to find Coca Cola's website

I think they are worried about way bigger things then SEO and it is just a drop in the bucket type strategy to big business. I mean of course they will have a 50 + person IT team that probably knows a thing or two about SEO

SEO strategy is mostly for the little guys the big boys already have it in the bag by the very nature of the beast

I think the big boys want to spend money on things like marketing, social media, customer service, product quality, efficiency etc.

4. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

They need to work too but not as hard since they have customers who are fans of their products and link to their site.

5. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

A "little" retail company called J.C Penney was penalized by Google for hiring someone to get their site highly ranked who then used "black hat" techniques. J.C. Penney is at least as well known as Coca-Cola. Even so, they recognized the importance of being on page one of Google for phrases related to the products they sell. Apparently, however, their IT team didn't know enough about SEO to recognize unethical techniques.
    Using the proper SEO techniques, or hiring someone who uses the proper techniques, a small to medium size company can outrank big companies like Dell, Bushnell, Party City, and others. Although they are big companies and may not need to be highly ranked to be successful, some may see how many potential customers they can capture, and see value in being highly ranked.

6. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

J.C. Penney is nowhere near as known as Coca Cola. J.C. Penney is known but not well-known. First off, it's not international. It's an American company.
    Whereas Coca Cola is international and dominates in over 200 more countries than J.C. Penney does.

7. Shahrier

Shahrier
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't know JC Penney and I live in Canada ;P

Anyways, SEO is important for big companies but not as important because they will already be known by their fans and customers.

#7 Shahrier, Sep 6, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  8. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah, I mean they've got thousands of thousands of dollars to just throw into commercials and what not. And if they really want to reach internet users, they can always go and purchase advertising from Youtube, which is what most companies do.

9. DaveCain

DaveCain
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The 4 most important things for me at the moment are:

1) Social presence
    2) User focused content
    3) Load times / usability
    4) Quality and themed links