If you were able to start again, what would you do different?

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by Changed Creation, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Changed Creation

Changed Creation
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

We tend to learn more from bumping our heads and stepping into %##@&@!!!:eek: What happened and what would you do differently?

2. Changed Creation

Changed Creation
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

In the past I often started out with partners relying on good faith, but have discovered that the only way to really be accountable, is to set a system in place where results can be measured and only hold people accountable for that in meetings, projects etc. Even with regards to managing my personnel day to day results!

3. crater

crater
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would work harder and stop believing in overnight success. That would help me get less disappointed and more motivated.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

If I was to start again I would make any site I started more specific and targeted to a more focused niche. When you launch a site that is more general nature, it is much more difficult to create a site that is the best in it's niche and hence more difficult to make it a success.

• Like Like x 1
  5. amwarner

amwarner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would focus on building a list right from DAY ONE. I'm 9 months into my website and I only started thinking about list building towards the end of July and not we're in September. I missed out on a whole bunch of opportunities that wouldn't have been missed if I focused on building that list from the get-go.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Like crater, I would work harder. I also believe it is important to be true to yourself, and not try to be what someone else wants you to be. Although others may have something to teach, you must take their knowledge and develop your own skills, and use them to the best of your ability.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Changed Creation

Changed Creation
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks. Personally I think this is one one the most important steps in starting a business, the art of narrowing down who your particular ideal client is!

8. Changed Creation

Changed Creation
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hi amwarner
    Few people really understand the value of having and using this list of all your clients info, what their needs are, what they have bought from you and what's next for them. Two basics take shape from it. Your marketing funnel and your metrics!

9. Changed Creation

Changed Creation
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I couldn't agree with you more. So often we start off doing what we think will bring us money, or doing things so that we can fit in. This is often why we start off with careers in directions we never wanted to be in, take employment in occupations that never bring us fulfillment or start businesses that we had being in. In business its like two sides of a coin for success. You loving and valuing what you do, and the client loving and valuing what you do! :)

10. Vick

Vick
    uix_expand uix_collapse

create something of actual value. I learned this lesson in my first business.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Changed Creation

Changed Creation
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks Vick. Yes I agree. The most difficult thing in starting a business I think, is creating something that is really really valued by the client, and not just me or what I think will be valuable!