If you found yourself jobless tomorrow, what would you do?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Kay, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Just posing a hypothetical question here. :) Do you think you'd:

• still look for work in your industry
    • take a whole different perspective on life and head off in a new direction
    • scramble straight into looking for a new one anywhere doing anything as long as it brought in a salary
    • look into college/uni options
    • take time out to think it all through and regroup

Maybe you'd do something else entirely. How do you think you'd approach it and what would be the first moves you make?

2. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think you missed out on the option "go into business" Kay. :)

That's an interesting question. For myself, I'd probably look into a new job immediately. It doesn't matter if it's still the same industry or not.

3. giomark

giomark
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would find something to do, just like internet surfing and reading some useful stuffs to earn or to have a job.

4. CLSbrunette

CLSbrunette
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would concentrate on my blogs and look for freelance work related to my skills. I would also have ample time to start my small online trading business.:)

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I'm working on a business plan for an online software business. If I was out of a job in the morning I'd concentrate on building and launching that business.

6. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'd have to say that if I lost my job today, it might be very difficult to find another one because of the recession. If I cannot find another one, I will then focus more on my Forex learning in the hope that I can make trading as my profession. :)

7. ShawnLim

ShawnLim
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, I definitely won't go back to the school.
    If I got laid off suddenly, I'll set new goals, heading new directions
    in my life.

I guess, you cannot only depend on just one stream of income.
    If you've been laid off, your income stream will be gone and you'll
    suffer to live your life.

So the best way is to create an additional income stream while working.
    So when you get laid off, you can still survive.
    That will give you more time to think about what you're going to do next.

Plan for your life and always prepare for the future.

8. msaadw21

msaadw21
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If I got laid off suddenly, like what being done these days, I will prefer to look for work in my own industry as I have experience in it.

9. kingmurtaza196

kingmurtaza196
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Kay, u haven't put the option of "starting own business " ..

If I get jobless tomorrow as most of the people are getting due to global economical recession I would start my own business .. I have got experience in textile marketing so I would start my own buying house as it doesn't require a large amount of investment !

10. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That depends upon your condition.

- If you're fired by boss then you would probably go for new job or new ways.

- Unless, everything is okay and you'd to leave job for some purpose, your interest will go for same job because of your interest since a long time back.

11. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Another option for me would probably be to start some food business. I'm good at cooking ever since I was a kid and I always try to learn new recipes whenever I have a chance. I might also make some sacrifices and might also rent out 2 rooms in our new house if there comes a time that we need to make ends meet.

I think the important thing to do in this situation is not to spend too much time feeling sorry for ourselves and blaming the situation that caused us losing our jobs - the global recession, and start doing something immediately to earn money.

12. ashishforyou

ashishforyou
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If I loose my job . Then I shall first try to get another .
    I know it is 50/50 chance . But the half side is is of hope .
    Still after doing it if I don't get a job then I will try for professional blogging .

13. Superbs

Superbs
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My first priority would be to find a new job, i would say to avoid such thing it's always better to multi-task with your work. have a job and also some offer some kinda service to get that extra income through offline world :)

14. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The topic of this thread has changed from being a hypothetical situation to becoming a reality for me. I've posted about my personal experience here.

15. NealAAL

NealAAL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Reality it is

It is a reality for me too. When we lost the rented space for out business, I tried to look for another one nearby. However, since the rules in the other building were different, they would not allow us to build a kitchen.
    So I simply gave up the food business and asked myself to take a deep breath and go back to my former career. It was easier said than done. I used to work as a product development artist for Christmas and home decor. A lot of the jobs in this area now are in China. I am unwilling to go back because I now have a family.

An old friend suggested that I post my drawings and illustrations on the internet. So an old folder called Project Blog has been dusted off and revived. I am worried though , that a lot of the images will be downloaded and used without my getting paid.

Would I be better off posting my drawings at sites like Associated Content or Constant-content and other similar sites? I have seen that they don't pay as much but at least I get protection.

16. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I will still look for work in my industrial. However, i will get a part time job while i looking for new job. Life is still going on, and we need money to run our life, so must do something before get the suitable job.

17. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

NealAAL, sorry to hear that things haven't worked out so well for you but hopefully these challenges will lead to interesting opportunities.

If you are planning on selling drawings and illustrations online, you might find this thread helpful. Please have a look through the thread and then start a new thread with any questions you have and we will do our best to offer you help and suggestions to point you in the right direction.

Very true and every cloud has a silver lining. Hopefully we can learn lessons from these difficult times and grow to be stronger, more knowledgeable and more independent.

18. shubh

shubh
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This possibility doesn’t worry me because many of my friends lost their jobs recently because of recession. Now when their employers are calling them back, they are not interested. Just because they started their home based business and are earning good.

19. unleashed

unleashed
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would rather start my own business if I have money. If not, then I would continue working in my industry.

20. solidus37

solidus37
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Look for much in demand job. Like being in the military, police or border patrol jobs. You don't have to bestuck with just one option though