If you could start your business again what would you do differently?

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by Boypomy09, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Boypomy09

Boypomy09
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

If you could start your business over again from scratch, what would you do differently this time?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's an interesting question Boypomy09. I would do two things differently. First of all I would not spread myself so thinly. When I started out I quickly established lots of websites in different niches. Some people recommend this approach, however, if I was to do it again I would focus on one site at a time and take it is far as I could, before taking on a new site.

The second thing that I would do differently is keeping much closer control of my costs. It's very easy to feel that your initial costs are small and that they don't need controlling. However, this lack of control can become a habit. If you don't start out by controlling your small costs you won't have the discipline to keep tight control of your larger costs. Keeping control of your costs is part of the way you do business and from now on I start as I mean to go on.

3. alex2213

alex2213
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would agree with Fergal. I would specialize in something rather than diversifying soo much. Also, I would put a team together from the very beginning and not as a consequence of the business growing. It really makes things easier (1 objective 1 specific team together for that. simple)

4. colin1

colin1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello

Hi Fergal. Thank you for sharing the information.

Have a nice day

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for your feedback alex2213.

Off Topic - I've just registered and posted an ad on your classifieds site. I hope it's going well for you. Please feel free to promote it in your signature here on Business Advice Forum and in our Member Ads & Marketplace forum.