If you could change 1 thing about SEO, what would it be and why?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by DaveCain, Aug 10, 2011.

1. DaveCain

DaveCain
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As above - If you could change 1 thing about SEO, what would it be and why?

2. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

if i could, I'd stop google to update algo. it keeps SEO guys hinting what/which really work.

3. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I will like to stop index all those duplicate content, give more weight for unique content

4. kpatelseo

kpatelseo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think I can show up Google dynamic title and metatags, when some one search something in google search page page show title and description as per searched keyword.

5. Ken Peterson

Ken Peterson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I will like to stop Google Analytic.Some time its gives wrong result.

6. DaveCain

DaveCain
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for all the feedback so far, lets keep it coming :)

7. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Actually, because technology is always changing, updates are always necessary, no matter what level of technology you may be speaking of. Can you imagine what would happen if no one ever updated anything - we would still be living in caves, wearing animal skins (strike that, animal skins would be an update from fig leaves), and walking everywhere. Keeping to the thread subject, Google has to update their algorithm to keep up with technology, to stay ahead of their competitors, and to discourage those who try to "game" the system.

This is actually related to ownedbox's comment. One of the reasons for Google's updates is to make sure that when someone searches any keyword phrase, they find what they are looking for, instead of a bunch of useless garbage. In fact, when a webpage is analyzed, any time a "duplicate" is found, it is flagged as a problem.

I disagree. The Title Tag, and Description meta tag, make it easier for Google to determine where a particular website, or page within a website, should belong. The Description meta-tag can also help the searcher determine whether a site has the information, product, or service they are looking for. Searching a site for a desired keyword would make it more difficult to index. With the enormous number of websites now being indexed, meta tags make the job much easier.

Now, on to my answer to DaveCain's question. Many industries have third-party rating services that give an impartial review of various products and industries. I would like to see a legitimate organization that could give impartial reviews of the different SEO firms. It might also be helpful to have an organization that can evaluate firms that provide SEO services, and only allow membership to those who can prove they live up to the standards of the organization. This would make it easier for those looking for SEO services to find a firm that can actually get the job done.

• Like Like x 2
  8. DaveCain

DaveCain
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I couldn't agree more - great answer!

9. GamingOn

GamingOn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think that people looking to get the job done need just not pay upfront but after results. I charge for SEO services after results and I usually get results quick to get paid.

10. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

What happens if a client is not satisfied with the results, and refuses to pay? And who determines what the word "results" actually means? Although we have determined that most clients get a certain result within a certain period of time, not all of them do. There are too many variables to promise a certain result within a specified period of time for every client. If a client expects a certain result and doesn't get it, even though the results we did get are substantial, they can refuse to pay, and we have done a great deal of work for nothing.

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That could be agreed by the client and business in advance - e.g. a page one listing on a particular search engine, for a certain keyword by an agreed date.

12. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Perhaps I should have left out the words "for every client". No one can guarantee getting a specific keyword to page one, on a specific search engine, in a specific period of time. There are those who guarantee a page one ranking on Google, but they do it for phrases that get very little searches. Even those who offer "guaranteed results" do not really give their clients what they need when the actual results they guarantee are revealed. Although the "pay for results" model may work for GamingOn, it offers too many opportunities for unscrupulous providers to make people think they are providing service, and then the so-called "results" are not what the client expected.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I wish that SEO would bring faster results. SEO definitely works but it often takes time for Google to respond to your efforts.

14. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I wish Bing search can perform better, after Bing cooperate with Yahoo, it only left 2 Giant search. If Google keep winning without competition, end up they can simply monopoly and increase PPC price. Without competition, SEO environment creative. I like SEO work, as it is keep changing, and it encourage me to learn more.

15. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

As of earlier this year, Google has indexed over one trillion websites, most of which are not optimized for the search engines. Even if they were, indexing them, checking the backlinks, etc., would take a long time. Another reason SEO takes a long time is because it has to look as natural as possible. Although some can get substantial upward movement for a website in 90 days, getting a website ranked for a number of phrases is going to take time. There is no legitimate way to get around it.

• Like Like x 1