If you are to build a team and organize people what skills must you have?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by daytrader, Aug 29, 2012.

1. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm thinking of training myself to manage people skills and assign them respectively. If you are to build a team and organize people, what skills must you have?

2. LucidWebMarketng

LucidWebMarketng
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think you should have the primary skills of whatever project requires. If the project is to design and build software in C++, it would help if you knew C++, actually having worked with that language on other projects.

Other than that, to be more general, you'd need to be able to clearly convey whatever message you want. In other words, a good communicator. Be organized. Able to get people to listen and act. Willing to listen to subordinates. Able to make decisions quickly.

Think of all the bosses you've ever had and the ways they did things. We all have stories about poor bosses. Don't do what they did.

3. Denishverma

Denishverma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good Team experience - Business Management Skills !

You have to take over all responsibilities - then - you have to ready for every battle like me :)

M too doing same :)

4. remonray

remonray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you are talking about managing a team of skilled people I don't think you need knowledge in their respective field.Basic knowledge about their fields and knowing what can/can't be done from field will be enough.Beside all these you need to have some kind of leadership nature+patience+ determinant.So,you can lead the team.

5. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you are in my position, what would you say to convince them to join you and motivate to build the team and work together?

6. noreturn

noreturn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When I am hiring people for my company's or small business this is a small list I look for in a person:

Positive attitude
    Harder worker
    Good reputation
    Good Background
    and last but not least they want the job

I think all of those are important details to look for in a person to make sure they will make a good team member. I wouldn't higher anyone that would expect less than I would expect.

7. remonray

remonray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Some points can be:
    *Make them clear about the benefits they got when they join your team.
    *Try to be friendly but don't act cheap.

8. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Put simply, I would say this is a combination of leadership and management skills (disciplines which are similar but different in many ways). There are many templates and checklists available to help which you can easily Google up... I don't believe there is one right way, but I think it helps if you know yourself and play to your strengths... MBTI (leadership) and Belbin Role Types (teamworking) are two approaches I've found very helpful... each gives you an insight into your natural approach and highlights the strengths and weaknesses - that's where self-management is critical... Hope these help. M.

• Like Like x 1