Ideas for finding affordable office location?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by glooft, Oct 5, 2010.

1. glooft

glooft
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi. I am starting a mobile phone repair business. I have been trying to start out as a home based business but most people do not feel comfortable with me either coming to their home or meeting at a third-party location such as a Starbucks. I really need to have a professional location to get this going. I do not need much space since I am the sole employee as of now. I realize that retail store front is much more than an office or industrial location.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can find bargain priced commercial space? It seems like calling a commercial real estate broker might not be the place to find cheap space. Maybe I'm wrong?

2. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Your local real estate agent may be more helpful than you think. Many of them handle small commercial properties too. Put out the feelers with them anyway. Shoot them an email and explain you need a very small space and wouldn't mind leasing a room or similar within existing business premises. In this economy, real estate agents are having to get creative too so they may come up with an idea.

Isn't there anything close by that has small business units within it?

For example there's an indoor antiques market not far from me and there's all kinds of little business units within that. It's much more than just antiques. An indoor market may not be as classy as you were thinking of, but it would be a place to start with relatively low overheads. What you don't want is to be tied into an expensive lease when you're just starting out until you know better what kind of income you'll have.

Also, these types of places draw foot traffic that's interested in dawdling. The customers are in no rush and want to browse. You'd be very visible and accessible. It would be great to be able to put up a sign saying they could drop their phone in and while you look at it/repair it, they can wander around the market and come back when they're ready to pick it up.

Alternatively, why not get in touch with local mobile phone retailers and see if you can make an arrangement to lease some space within their building? Added benefit to them (because they would want to know why that's a good idea): if your customer's phone is beyond repair, they're in the right place to buy a new one. :) It also could differentiate them from the competition. And how often would someone with an outdated phone walk past a display of shiny new ones and decide to buy a new one instead? Could happen. :) Be ready to explain how little space you need. The only sticking point I can think of may be on insurance coverage if you're on the premises. Worth a shot anyway!

Or place a classified ad in your local paper saying you're seeking to share business premises on a small scale, much the same as you would send to the estate agents, and see what comes out of that. There could be a local business looking for a way to generate more income right now and your renting space could be it.

I'm out of ideas. Hope they help in some way. :)

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to our business forum glooft. I agree with all the excellent advice you have received from Kay. The idea of partnering with a local mobile phone store is an excellent one and you could even broaden out the types of business you would consider partnering with.

Perhaps you can get a small desk in a computer store, an electrical retailer, a small department store or even in a completely different type of business such as a local newsagent. Many of these businesses will be feeling the effect of the downturn and will only be too glad to have an additional source of income, coming in every week or month.

You may not even need a desk at the business premises, maybe you could use them as a drop off and collection point. Your customers could leave their phones there, you then go and pick them up, take them home to repair them and then drop them back to the store for customer collection.

Repair businesses have been doing quite well in the recession. As people have less money to spend, they are more likely to have an item repaired than to replace it. Have you looked at the cost of having a mobile phone repaired versus the cost of having it replaced?

You might be able to find other related ways to increase the revenue from your business. For example, you might be able to sell mobile phone accessories or you could buy damaged phones, repair them and then resell them as working second hand products. Again the recession means that more and more people are prepared to buy previously used goods. You could also get damaged mobile phones by doing trade ins or providing a mobile phone recycling service to your customers.

Good luck with it and please do post back with your thoughts and to tell us about your progress.

4. TheEntreprenette

TheEntreprenette
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How about sharing with a watch repair, locksmith or a shoe repairing service. They are usually 1 man bands and have room for more than one person behind their counters.

Have you considered buying a little van and going direct to your customers. You can work in your van outside their house.

Regards

Jo

5. glooft

glooft
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you everyone for your great ideas. I have approached several mobile phone businesses regarding renting space within their stores but no takers yet. I might be renting an office in a shared office building. I want to find something this week. I will let you know what happens.

Regards,
    Gary

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the update Gary, good luck with finding the right location for your business. Please do let us know if there is anything else we can help with.

7. Felix07Richerd

Felix07Richerd
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Location is the lead of your property. these ideas are wonderful informative post, it is a very useful to me thanks dear to share such an excellent informative post.

8. Samantha Elliot

Samantha Elliot
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Office location is a major issue for one man (or woman) businesses, because traditional office space rentals are high and for the most part, inaccessible. Fortunately, business models are changing and so are solutions. Have you considered serviced office spaces or virtual offices? Serviced office space is effectively shared office space, the size of which can range from an entire floor to a single workstation. The major benefit is that no matter how much office space you rent, you will have access to physical facilities, such as conference rooms (which is what you need) and even reception facilities. Virtual offices are different in that they provide you with an upmarket office address; sometimes physical facilities are available. Instant Offices offer office space in New York, Toronto, Dubai...in fact all major business hubs worldwide. They are worth a try. Best of luck.

9. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Not really, real estate broker is actually is the best way for you to find the best location within your budget. The real estate broker only get commission if you are renting or buying the unit, therefore they will try the best to talk to the owner to get best price.

10. lolunselin

lolunselin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You might be able to find other related ways to increase the revenue from your business. For example, you might be able to sell mobile phone accessories or you could buy damaged phones, repair them and then resell them as working second hand products. Again the recession means that more and more people are prepared to buy previously used goods. You could also get damaged mobile phones by doing trade ins or providing a mobile phone recycling service to your customers.