Ideal for SEO and IM

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by gtt, Mar 15, 2010.

1. gtt

gtt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello everyone.

This has been bugging up my mind about what's really the best machine to use which is ideal for both SEO and IM works. I'm still working on my desktop pc (having with not so excellent applications installed on it) and always wanted to upgrade it. But I'm considering to go with a laptop rather than upgrade my desktop pc which I think could just cost me bucks of money.

Is laptop that good enough to use? Any idea about an ideal laptop specification?

Thanks in advance,
    --Gerry

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Will most of your work be done online, i.e. through an Internet browser?

What software programmes will you be running on your machine?

3. gtt

gtt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, most of my SEO works are being done online so I'm also being dependent to my internet connection (which I'm planning to upgrade for a higher bandwidth also). I'm using an Internet Explorer browser but having some issues most often and because of this I really have to use and rent a computer from internet cafes to get my work done even faster.

Here are some specs of my desktop pc:

Intel Celeron Processor
    120 SD RAM
    16G HDD
    CD-ROM
    Windows Vista
    MS Office 2000
    And some multimedia free-software applications installed on it. Obviously, the specs are kind of outdated.

However, I still consider using a desktop computer because it's usually more comfortable to use with.

Thanks.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

You get a much higher spec for your budget when you buy a desktop. When you purchase a laptop you pay a lot for the portability of the machine and hence you don't get the same performance as from a desktop.

The fact that you do most of your work online would mean that even a quite basic new desktop machine should be adequate for you.

5. gtt

gtt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Smart comparison on that, Fergal. Yes, as long as my experience with a desktop pc is concerned, I think I'd just stick to it.

Appreciate your further clarifications.

6. webdesignlebanon

webdesignlebanon
    uix_expand uix_collapse

laptop vs pc

always pcs are more reliable than laptops
    but i have a toshiba laptop 2.4 ghz, 6 gb ram , so i consider it like a rocket, it is fast and great, but as he said, the features of his laptop are too much slow. so he needs a pc.

7. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I only have laptops so I have the freedom to travel and work wherever, whenever I want. I have both a pc and a mac. Although I reckon mac just rocks it there are still 2 tools that I can only use on pc at this stage. If you're doing SEO and IM stuff having 2 computers if it fits your budget can be a huge producitivity boost and advantage.

8. gtt

gtt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good to know that you got a laptop working good for you, but like I said, I'd rather just stick to a desktop pc which I found working on it more convenient.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and welcome to Business Advice Forum, webdesignlebanon.

Having both a laptop and a desktop pc seemed working best for you, Tecknowoman. That's a great deal with your SEO and IM stuffs, I supposed?

Thanks for sharing that.