Idea of starting a video game store.

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by Wmg89, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Wmg89

Wmg89
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ok, to start off I've always been a video game junkie. Where I live now, the highway I live on is a crazy busy highway and town used everyday by people going to and from work. Not to mention a lot of people live in this town. There's been a McDonalds that has gone in this town recently where a newer small strip mall was built. Not to mention a pizza place right down from it.

Now I think this would be an ideal place for a video game store because 1: thereis no video game store in this town 2: there's 2 popular places to eat that would be on each side of it 3: the town always has a ton of people driving through it 4: theres a ton of people that live in this town, and theres a high school within walking distance.

I know there's more to it than just all of thosethings I listed, but as a good place to start researching, with those things already thought through... does it sound like an ideal spot for a video game store?

Any opinions are welcomed.

2. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's sounds like a pretty decent place to set up shop but it would be difficult to stay afloat. You could be successful for a little while but you'll eventually go under. There's GameFly. Just look at video rental stores. A lot of them had to shut down because of Netflix and Redbox. GameFly is the video game equivalient.

3. James Greg

James Greg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well the idea seems pretty fair to me as all of these spots sure have video game junkies flocked about. High school kids are sure to have your shop crowded but as Jerlene said there's chances that it may not be a long term profitable business. Just consider this, you are not a shop owner but a game junkie and this store has opened up, how often would you visit it to purchase your cravings or would you go for ordering online? Considering your assessments I think the picture might be somewhat clear to you.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to our Business Forum and thanks for posting your business questions Wmg89.

The place you describes sounds like a great location for a video game store. Have you found out what the rent of the store would be and done some forecasting to estimate if the business could pay that rent?

Another option worth looking at, would be to contact some of the larger video game store chains and ask them about franchising opportunities in your area. Franchise businesses have a much lower failure rate, which could help protect you against some of the dangers already mentioned in this thread.

5. Peter Birganza

Peter Birganza
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,
    The best way to promote and introduce your video game business is your target market which are children. You may target different schools and day care centers where you have to introduce your games in kids. So, your business should be at near of any school or such an area where you think that you can target much customers. Infact teenagers are also much attracted towards it so you can also earn a handsome income from this age group as well.

6. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Pretty cool place. I think it's a perfect place for a video game shop.
    What I'm just wondering what type of video games you want to sell? Does this include game discs, consoles and other gaming peripherals?

And I agree with Fergal's comment. Working as a retail branch or franchise of a bigger store is a lot better. Maybe this could save you a lot more money in start up cost.

Seriously? I won't put a video game store near a school or do promotions on one. Why?
    Video games tend to distract students and kids in studying. Besides, why would you give video games to kids on a day care center? Those kids shouldn't be exposed on video games this early. Plus, do ou expect them to own a PSP or xbox?
    I wouldn't really suggest doing that.

Another thing is, follow the game's ratings on its packaging and never sell games to people who don't get in to that rating. Like don't sell "Mature" rated games to "teens". Get the point?

7. Wmg89

Wmg89
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't have any interest in offering game rentals. So I'm not worried about that. The closest game store is 20 mins away, and for a good size community, its more logical, and simply easy to go a few mins down the road to a game store to buy a game.

I haven't checked into costs or anything like that. My main idea of this thread was to get input on general idea of starting a game store where I live. The only thing I don't like about contacting a larger franchise, I still wouldn't have full control over "my store". One of the biggest down falls I see with some average Joe starting a store... it's hard to make a store visually catching. That's the big advantage franchises have. When you go in there, whether you want to buy something or not, they have anything and almost everything you could want to look at. I wouldn't want to go into some place and think to myself, "well it looked cool from the outside" I want to be able to walk into somewhere and think, "this place looks awesome". If a place has "eye candy" and looks great, that will keep me there.

The opinions and suggestions are appreciated!

8. stacy111

stacy111
    uix_expand uix_collapse

thanks for good suggestions guys because i also wanna to open it.

9. Peter Birganza

Peter Birganza
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Gekidan,
    Why are you thinking so that we are going to destroy kids? I don`t mean that we are offering to a student that he comes to play game within study or school timings. It is just an idea that the demand of games are in this age group. Do you think that a student of university or collage will come to play games? Infact, there are also many games available in market that made for study purposes like poem songs, ABC writing and listening, keyboard typing senses etc. So, if you understand than I just explained the target market. That children or student will attract by it and perhaps he will buy our product to play when he will get free from whole day by his studies.
    You are right that packaging effects more to customers of different age group and it should be the focal point of packaging dept. that is it for teenagers or matures. But again I would like to say that games are for a specific or limited age group, not above it.
    About day care center I would like to say that there are lots of games that are just to attract babies, not for play like birthday songs etc. and it is good for a game store owner because parents would like to purchase such a thing for their kids to entertain them.

10. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

According to the information given, it seems have good potential. However, i suggest you Check out how much the rental, the location seems too good and i think the rental is not cheap. Then, you really need to do the cost budget and work out on the break-even to finalize whether you can make money or not before you decide to open the video shop.

11. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, I just want to make kids stay away from video games at an early age.

Games that attract babies? Video games for babies? Seriously? I haven't seen any like that.

12. Peter Birganza

Peter Birganza
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi GekiDan:

Yes, perhaps you are not aware about these games. Actually these are not that kind of game that kids play but these are disks and CDs with sweet songs that we can play in games. Might be now you can understand that in which sense I am talking about.
    I agree to you that small kids should not play games but games for study purposes like keyboard use and its understanding is necessary in today`s life. In fact day before yesterday I purchased a keyboard game for my son and it is good for him in understanding the use of computer and to improve his typing speed on it.

13. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think I know now what you meant. But as far as I can see, those are not the "games" that the OP meant to sell. I mean, when you say video games, first thing comes in my mind, as a casual gamer like the OP, is xbox, PSP, Nintendo, PS3 and PC games.