Idea for Business

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Mlewis904, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Mlewis904

Mlewis904
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi there! My name is Morgan Lewis and I am a licensed massage therapist as well as a writer, musician, and just I enjoy all things like most people do. I have a question. I was thinking about putting together a non for profit or a for profit but Im not sure where to start. If I go the non for profit way then I need a board of directors in which I can not seem find any. People seem interested but they dont have enough time to invest, plus women in business are hard to take seriously apparently. It seems like the biggest problem facing people right now is not being a job that they enjoy. My idea is called Art of Flow; A movement center. The idea is basically, massage therapy, movement therapy, music therapy, art therapy as well as merchandise created by local artists. Energy being expressed and suppressed with drugs, alcohol or even thoughts. To create a center where people can come and get things out in a healthy alternative way. What would be your best way to approach this. I only know how to put together a massage business, but its hard because I'd like to have my friends be a part of my business as well. So what would you do. Any advice would help. A business grant/loan? What comes first. And are angel investors worth looking into? Thanks so much and have a great day.

2. amwarner

amwarner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hmm ... Business and friends rarely mix just a word of advice. Don't being your friends into business just because you think it'll be "cool" to work together ... that type of mentality usually ends up with friends not being friends. If you're thinking of working with people, make sure they have passion for business and are willing to do work.

As far as your business, I'm confused. I'm guessing it'll just be a single organization but offering all of these things? That's probably going to be alot of money and your options would be bank or angel investor. But, why wouldn't you do the massage business by it self?

3. lilly

lilly
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,
    If u want to get profit in business then be great at what you do, by becoming the best in your business.You have business sense and common sense working together to make and keep your profits in business.
    Business sense will keep you in business and protect you from getting ripped off and you also have confidence for the business which you are going to start.
    All the best do well.

4. Changed Creation

Changed Creation
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hi Morgan
    Your idea sounds good and from an Occupational Therapy perspective and business perspective, very interesting. First I'd like to comment on the fact that you mentioned the words grant/loan/investment. Start your business with zero capital. No loans, no credit card, no borrowing. Risk is the ability to loose capital, and you really can start that business without lending a cent! If you can manage to start the business with no money, using only the resources you already have and the connections you already have, you will go a long way to get the foundation of your business right! Next you need to think very carefully about what the problem is, your business mix will be solving. You need to think carefully about which therapy combinations to add and what you want to do that will make you unique from the competition out there. You also need to talk to as many clients out there that may be interested in your service, about how exactly you can be of service to them, what their pain points are and what you can offer specifically to cater for those needs.
    When we start a business, we often make the mistake of thinking that we don't really have to talk to clients to determine what they really want. But this is crucial for your success, your marketing and your business growth. Try out a few forums to see if you can get into the mind of your customers. Money is only a value exchange, and is given to the one that gives the highest value. Don't try starting a business if you have not fully determined what unique value they want to give money for! Hope this gives you something to start with!

• Like Like x 1