I would need your opinion on this SM conversion issue

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by Constantin, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Constantin

Constantin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello,

I have this customer in London, UK, that offers mobile massage and spa services. I administrate five of their social media accounts: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+ and Pinterest.

Social media is the second traffic source for their website (after Google search) and Facebook alone, the third.

According to Google Analytics, the traffic sent by Facebook spent an average of 12 minutes on their website, compared to Google Search – only 2 minutes.
    The average number of website pages that a visitor sent by Facebook views is 13.49, compared to a visitor coming from Google search that exits the website after viewing only 3.70 pages.

The paid Facebook campaigns I did for them in the last 4 months had a CTR between 1.5 and 7.8, which is extremely good, in my opinion.

However, for some reason, they say that they did not have any customer coming from Social Media (not even one!) and all their new customers came from Google search.

The method they are using to track this is by using a small questionnaire, after every purchase, in which they ask the customers how they did hear about the company (and it seems that all of them answered “Google search”, or at least this is what they've told me).

The only thing that makes sense is that the customers found the social media pages when searching on Google and they got to the website from there.

Can you think of anything else that would explain this situation?

Thanks!

2. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It looks like customers converted after coming from the social networking sites. If they did not come directly from the site then finding the pages in google search looks like the only logical explanation if you believe your client that the customers came from Google search.

Have you checked google searches for the company if it showed the pages in question?

The only way you can be sure is to use a coupon code for the social media campaign so that whenever a customer sees the social pages and converts you can be sure that your efforts have paid off.

• Like Like x 2
  3. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have been through this. People will like your pages in Facebook randomly. But I don't think they will check your site If they liked your page which has your site's link. The reason for this can be most of the people use Facebook from mobile, there are lots of fake profiles and even bots and they just like your page without checking details.

In Google search, people are likely looking for the products they want. So, they are mostly customers. They will visit your site from Google search and buy the products if they like it.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Have you seen a copy of the questionnaire that they are using? I have heard some people who are not very experienced with the web use the word "Google" almost synonymously with the web, in other words when they come across something on the web they may say that they found it on Google, even if that find wasn't directly through Google. The wording of the questionnaire could actually be encouraging respondents to answer Google for that question.

That is actually quite likely, if I searched on Google for something, found a FaceBook page for it and then visited the main site via that FaceBook page, I could in all possibility say that I found the site through Google, because that's where my search started.

Another possibility might be that customers are finding the site through the social media work they are doing. The first time they visit the site they may not make a booking, however they remember the business name. A little later they might search for the business through Google, based on their memory of the name. Those people would not have heard of the business, if it were not for social media, but they still may say that they made their booking after finding it on Google.

That is an excellent statistic that shows the value of your work. Customers who visit the business website via FaceBook, are obviously much more engaged with the site and more interested in learning more about the business, than those who find it through Google.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Constantin

Constantin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I will disagree a bit :). 50% of the posts on Facebook, in this case, link to the website. All the promoted posts link to the website, as well. Most of the paid adverts link to a custom tab that sends them to the website, too.

The conversion (leads into paying customers) is done on their webpage.

Facebook behaves like some kind of a filter in this situation and only the most targeted traffic gets to the website.

6. Constantin

Constantin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, the FB page does appears in search results (1st and 2nd page of Google, depending on the keyword), but most of the time after the website.

Another thing is that the website has a PR2 and the FB page got to PR3 about a month ago. I don't know if this is relevant, but I thought I should mention it.

#6 Constantin, Jun 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  7. Constantin

Constantin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No, I didn't see a copy of it. This can be another explanation, indeed.

• Like Like x 1