I would like to start an online business, advices needed

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by TheOnlyOne92, Apr 1, 2008.

1. TheOnlyOne92

TheOnlyOne92
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello guys. pendelton gave me an idea about a business. I should get experience and knowledge now and later it will be really useful for managin a business.

The thing is that I want to start an online business. Not something that I could sell by post, but something "digital".

Anyone's got ideas for me ?

I was thinking about rapidshare.com accounts, cheap rapidshare.com accounts, but I don't know yet... I could create the account from premium points and sell them for $5 instead of 7euros (rapidshare price). I don't want to make a living out of this business, my idea is to just gain experience and feel that thing when you satisfy your costumer with you good (in my case cheap) product :)

Advices please...
    Thank you.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

You could certainly start with the RapidShare accounts and advertise them on some of the major webmaster forums. This will give you experience of all aspects of business - promotion, product / service delivery, dealing with customers and looking at your finances to see if you are making a profit.

You could then expand that business or diversify by looking for other products that you could sell.

3. Thanoz

Thanoz
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Lots of people, especially under 18 years old are looking for prepaid/debit cards to verify paypal addreses...if you are in position to buy some of them(e.g for 20$) add a commision to them and distribute them!
    E.g a 20$ prepaid visa card could be sold for 25$.
    You never gonna run out of clients i guess :D

4. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

My follow up questions would be:
    "What are you interested in?"
    and
    "What does your area lack that you could provide?"

One suggestion: How many people in your area make things? Hand crafted items can sell for a shiny euro or two. Of these people are many are already online? Will it be worth your while to go around offering these craftspeople a way to sell more things? They make the items, you snap a few pictures of it, and list them on all the auction sites you can and set up a store. Charge them a small listing fee, say four items for a euro.
    A site will run about $14.00USD (9.80 euro?) for the first month and about $11.00USD (7.70 euro?) per month there after. So the number of items to list is pretty small really, say 32 items per month.
    How you make your money is to charge an extra 10% to whatever the craftsperson wants to make, and, you charge a few euros more for handling on top of the shipping.

This is a low cost way to go. Most of your clientèle will be from the EU, but that isn't a problem, it would seem.

The bonus for you is that you are young and people will give you the benefit of the doubt and want to help you out.

5. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Start a daily newsletter for your area, if it is large enough.

Sell ad space in it, business card sized ads and for sale ads.

Write articles about local happenings, toss in things like people's birthdays, anniversaries, engagement and wedding accouncements, birth annoucements.

Basically a small daily or weekly newsletter.

A printer (not an epson), bulk ink to refill ink cartridges, paper, a scanner, a digital camera, and GIMP. Epson printers need a special tool to reset the chip that monitors the ink level. HP has a couple of wide format ones if you wanted to use larger paper, but you can make it work with regular sized paper. You may need a deep throat stapler and staples too.

6. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

You can design, print, and deliver business information for local businesses, form a kind of coop where they all pay you to do the work.

I helped a kid start hand delivering little booklets he made with each page a little business brochure. It was his idea, he just could not get any takers till he came in to my store. I gave him his first taste of success and sent him to some friend's businesses, even a couple he had been to already that turned him down. He also added the local schools sports schedules and a few area informational articles to it. We eventually paid him for 5,000 copies. He made about $500.00 on the deal. Not a lot but he gave him a start to hit the bigger city a few miles away, where he made about $3,000.00 for a month of work.

A local area map booklet can be handy for people in the area too. Get advertisers to place business card sized ads in it and put a little number on the map where their business is. Include area attractions, schools, religious centers, and any thing else tha could be of any interest.

All of these things can also be done with an online version too.

#6 pendelton, Apr 1, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2008
  7. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

You do not need a product to start a business, just an idea, some drive, and a little cash in some cases.

After you have a small pile of cash you can then worry about getting products for resale.

Always try to get the others to pay your way, billionaires like Trump did just that. He did not have any money for his ideas, but he could sell the other people the idea and put it in their heads that he was the only one that could pull it off. It worked too.

8. King Justice

King Justice
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For such a business you won't need a website, and you can pretty much do it whenever you want, as long as the service that you advertise is rendered.

I would suggest advertising such services at high-traffic webmaster forums and gold/currency conversion forums. :)

9. d1976

d1976
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

10. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

d1976, you are turning in to a spammer with all the pointers to your site.

Put the link in your sig and do not try so hard to get people to visit your site, it is a big time red flag for people to avoid it.

11. TheOnlyOne92

TheOnlyOne92
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm one of those young people so this is off :(

Good ides guys but my community is small and nothing of this will actually work :(

I'll listen to Fergal and go with the rapidshare account.

But I will be glad to hear more advices (about rapidshare and similar things) from you. Thanks to all :)

12. john63

john63
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Online businesses are very tough because the competition is so high. unless you have a unique product or service things can get very competitive especially since recession kick of. My advice make sure u are prepared for whats ahead and do not expect to see results until a good bit down the line.
    John McClean

13. TheNova

TheNova
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Starting an online business can be tough. You haver to find something in which you have knowledge and experience with. There would be no point starting something you know very little about, because at some point people will need help or support. Also, remember that starting a business will most likely need some sort of investment.

There is a lot of things to consider before staring an online business. But good luck with whatever you think of doing. I'm sure BAF can help you with anything you need help with.