I want to start my own online business.?

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by Angelica, May 8, 2009.

1. Angelica

Angelica
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

There problem is I don't have a clue. I am a professional designer and editor, and want to start an online business either set up a store or create a form of service.

Does anyone have an idea how to go about it. Is there any websites on starting an online business. Do I have to register company, pay taxes, how do I market?
    HELP!

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum Angelica and thanks for joining.

We'll be delighted to help you and point you in the right direction to start your own business. We will be able to help you more if you give us a little more info about yourself and the business you would like to start.

Where abouts in the world are you located?

Have you decided what your business will sell? Will you be selling your own designs and services, for example?

3. Webestrian

Webestrian
    uix_expand uix_collapse

HI ! Welcome to BAF :)

It would be more convenient to advise you if you tell us your specialty in designing and editing (i mean what things you design or edit;there are a lot)

If you are looking for a website on "how to start an online business" - let me tell you you have landed at the right place.Here you would get complete advise from starting your business to business promotion :)

Also describe us what would be your preferred targeted market :)

Cheerz :D

4. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Welcome to the Business Advice Forum Angelica.

I've heard of some successful people doing online business and some of them started selling their products using ebay or yahoo. Not all their business ideas did well though but that didn't stop them, they just moved on to another idea/product to sell. The good thing about ebay/yahoo is that you can test your product in a real marketplace without first making an online store. It's only when they became successful at selling in ebay that they made an online store.

If you're selling your services, you might want to try freelance first. There are some freelance sites in our Useful Online Business Resources.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's always hard when you're first launching your online business for the first time?

I see, your interest and skill at designing and editor so probably you can make-up yourself with your own website describing about your skills and the services that you can carry up.

6. nichewitch

nichewitch
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you want to offer designing services, the best way to start is to put up a nice site or blog to showcase your work and to tell others about it. Be sure to have a portfolio of previous works as well as your rates. Add that site to your signature, your emails and any social networking profiles that you have.

As to the offline aspects, it will depend on where you are located. Most areas you will need to at least register a DBA with the local authorities. Running an online business entails the same sort of regulations and accounting as an offline business so if you do not have any business experience, that would be the area to focus on first.

7. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is fairly simple to start a business online - actually much more than your typical offline chaotic business. follow these steps -
    1. Set up a site and inform all what you have to offer
    2. Market through PPC
    3. Join forums for targeted clients
    4. Have affiliates market and sell your services for a commission %
    These are just few tips.. and there r tons more. Just join a good webmaster forum and ask away . Good luck !

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I agree that is important to include your rates if you are offering services such as logo and banner design. If you are providing a service such as web design you might decide to give some indication of your rates but each project will have an individual price. You might include a link or a button along the lines of "Click Here to Get a Free Quote" or "Click Here to Get a Free Consultation".

Good tip! You might find this simple affiliates and promotional codes thread helpful in this regard.

9. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Angelica, Welcome to BAF ( Business Advice Forum ).

As you are designer, you can simply register a domain name for few dollars or a free website and offer your designing services, may be for a particualar website purpose or simply some other designing. You can mention what you can offer and take related amount in return to your services provided.

10. myusacorporation

myusacorporation
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Angelica,

Depending on how serious your business will be (and I hope it will be serious) you will need to register your own company at one point. You could go with DBA for a while, but a serious business needs to be organized as a separate entity.

Marketing is entirely different topic –*and there are plenty of resources on the internet that can help. However, since you are a designer/editor I would go for social media optimization (SMO). The best way to market a service such as yours is through a word of mouth and buzz creation.

11. ledison

ledison
    uix_expand uix_collapse

maybe you should let us know what kind of designer and editor.good luck

12. Carrie Anderson

Carrie Anderson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The absolute best thing you can do is get a mentor but if you can get that now then check out Internet marketing forums like the warrior forum, you'll get tons of free and very vital info that will set you on the right path.

13. sanjananb

sanjananb
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Succeed At Your Online Business With Promotional Advertising Your online business is important to you and you want more than anything for it to succeed. When you began, you found a host company, you registered a domain name, and then you set up shop. Regardless of what type of online business you have, if you want to be successful, you have to advertise. There are many ways to advertise your online business.

14. Casey

Casey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I suggest you find a good and experienced mentor in this specific fiels. This will save you a lot of money and time also.
    Good Luck with your business!

15. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Have you any suggestions on how to do that?

16. band

band
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Angelica, you are a technical and skillful person, for admin and production work I don't you have any problem. The only thing you missing is lack of marketing and selling skill. You have to try whatever way to sell your service or product, once you manage to get few deal, keep grow it. Through selling and rejection, you will understand client well, it will give you more idea to run a business.

17. lisawinkler

lisawinkler
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

hi friends!

am also interested to do online business but i have no idea which kind of business i start plz suggest me some valuable online business :)

18. Jenifer

Jenifer
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Online Bookkeeper

This is really a good idea, to start a online business .This one is a best way to improve your financial status.If you are doing your full time job already then you can try it as a part time.You have exp about designing so you can start your online designing services & if you have knowledge about accounts then you can try for Online Bookkeeping service.:)

19. RevaxMedia

RevaxMedia
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello Angelica, if you know what you would like to sell or offer, you will then need to register just like a normal business such as sole trader, ltd company etc... which country are you from as each country is naturally different.

20. andrusimonds11

andrusimonds11
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is very good but first of all you should select type of business.