I want to start a web based store front

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by Sherrie Santana, Aug 10, 2011.

?

Is it easy to run a home web business or rocket science

Poll closed Aug 15, 2011.
  1. It's not rocket science.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Your doomed get someone who does it for a living to do it for you .

100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Sherrie Santana

Sherrie Santana
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi I want to start up a business selling gifts and jewelry. Im not sure how and were to start other than I have my tax id and have a few distributers I buy from to sell my products at fairs. A couple of
    the distributers have informed me they have down loadable catalogs and will drop ship for me but Im not sure what that means. Does it mean I can download their product to my web site when I get
    one and put my own prices in or I can down load there catalog and order from it for myself. I already order from the Distributor sites so I don't see why I would down load the catalog unless its to use
    to sell their particular products. However If there are several distributors offering to let me download their catalogs. How do I download each and put together to make my as store? Is there a web host site that can assist me in starting the process and how do I keep it safe or secure from hackers for my customers? I also have a credit card company I use for the fairs they have informed me they can switch it to the site once I start it up. And I have talked to Pay-pal they have informed me Im set up when I get the site up and ready to sell they will help me add their link. So I am lost.
    I know its probably as complicated as Im making it out to be but I really don't know were to start putting it together. So can anyone out:confused: there give me some advice and suggesting? Sincerely Sherrie

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to our Business Forum Sherrie and thanks for posting your business questions. One suggestion I would make to you is that you start your business off on eBay, it's a much simpler option for starting, than setting up your own online store. Once you have your eBay store up and running successfully you will have gained a lot of knowledge and experience in the process and will be in a much better position to start your own online store at that time.

Another option to consider would be Yahoo Merchant Services.

If you do decide to set up a store from the outset I'd recommend outsourcing the store and website development to a professional web designer. Before giving the work to a designer check to see that they have done similar quality work in the past and contact their previous clients for feedback on the designer's service. A professional web designer should be able to create a much better store than someone who is creating a single site and the time they save you could be better spent on the core aspects of your business.

Good luck with it and hopefully you will also get helpful suggestions from our other members.

By the way, what country will your business be based in?

3. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Who are the distributers that you have been talking with? Do you have links for their catalogues?

4. Sherrie Santana

Sherrie Santana
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the advice. I have an eBay account however I hardly make enough there too cover the fee's at this time. I will be doing business in the USA only.

Yes, I have been giving the access to download the catalogs. Why are you asking who they are?

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Drop shipping means that you would make the sale, pass the order details on to your supplier who would then deliver the product to the buyer. The advantage is that you don't need to carry stock or purchase stock in advance of making sales, which allows you to focus solely on marketing and promoting the product. This previous discussion has a lot of useful info on the subject and it could be well worth your while reading through it - Starting an Online Retail Business - Hosting and DropShipper Help!

Is it possible for you to increase your prices or to reduce the cost at which you are buying products from your suppliers?

6. td2011

td2011
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sounds like you need to speak to somebody who can explain in detail about selling online, the ins and outs and about selling securely as you mentioned to protect your customers. Maybe get this information first and then you can start selling confidently. Searching the internet for this advice is an option but not the same as talking to somebody and going through the details.