I want to start a small, creative web-based business, but what?

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by Preemo, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Preemo

Preemo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I want to start an online web-based business, that would be unique.

I've already tried Web Hosting and it's too much of a big market, so is Web Design. I was wondering whether any of you BAF members have any good suggestions on a creative web-based business? I'm only 17 and I have a part-time job which would fund my business start-up.

Thanks everyone!
    Ryan

2. DMIB

DMIB
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well I think it depends on what are your best skills, it you like designing or you like more something like programming. Because even the market is big there are many opportunities and my thought is that you should do what you like the most, that way you will do it right and will be a succesfull business for you. :)

3. Preemo

Preemo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Trouble is, I wasn't brilliant at web design, I love it and everything, I just don't take well to learning it despite buying tons of books and reading lots of tutorials!

4. Krisz Rokk

Krisz Rokk
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Passion is soooo important when it comes to creating your own company. Find out what your true passion is and stick to it. Learn from the 'masters', the people who are best in your field/ niche. Copy and apply what they do successfully; this way you can spare a lot of time, money and energy. All highly relevant if you want to create your own business. Plus, this way you can focus on you major topic :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Different people learn in different ways, maybe what you need is more practical experience and to do more design for others to perfect your skills? Or maybe you'd learn better in a class environment with others.

Are there any areas that you are particularly interested in or that you are passionate about?

6. Owen

Owen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Why don't you do existing business in a unique way, instead searching Unique Business?

7. Preemo

Preemo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are a lot of opportunities such as Social Media management, web design, web hosting and so on.. But obviously with web hosting there are thousand of companies already and I know I can't offer more than that. With web design, although I love looking at websites and I'd absolutely love to be able to design a decent one, I can't really. As for social media management and that niche, it's hard to get your name out there. I know how to set up a Facebook/Twitter account, I know how to get followers for Twitter, it would just be the design of the pages (as that's a big part of it). I'm not brilliant at graphic design so I wouldn't be able to put a good Twitter background etc together.

Cheers for the replies everyone :)

8. jcworlditsme

jcworlditsme
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Interesting, that sounds like a really good idea.

#8 jcworlditsme, Feb 16, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  9. AshleyWhiteBusin

AshleyWhiteBusin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Or how about stop being so technical and just start at the basics. Create a website, choose your niche... maybe you can do some advertising on it etc.

10. ThirdSEO

ThirdSEO
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you want to do something very creatively oriented: small business logo design

If you want to do something kind of creatively oriented: mobile website design

If you want to do something barely creatively oriented: start a blog