I want to sell action figure: Monkey king, any one can help?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by emily1983, Oct 13, 2010.

1. emily1983

emily1983
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I want to sell action figure, like these ones in the followings, is there any potential market? I don't know if foreigners are interested in our chinese culture.

Monkey King 1:8 PVC ABS Action Figure 中华名偶

Item description;

Brand: Zhong hua ming ou 中华名偶

Material:PVC,ABS

Scale: 1:8

Made in China
    [​IMG]

Sun wu kong(Monkey king) is a famous mythical figure in China, is a main character in the classical Chinese epic novel Journey to the West (西遊記).his fearlessness in thinking, doing work, striving for the objective and extricating China from poverty

Sun Wukong possesses an immense amount of strength; he is able to lift his 13,500 jīn (8,100 kg or 17,881 lbs) staff with ease. He is also superbly fast, able to travel 108,000 li (54,000 kilometers or 33,554 mi) in one somersault. Sun knows 72 transformations, which allows him to transform into various animals and objects; he has trouble, however, transforming into other people, because he is unable to complete the transformation of his tail. He is a skilled fighter, capable of holding his own against the best generals of heaven. Each of his hairs possesses magical properties, and is capable of transforming either into a clone of the Monkey King himself, or various weapons, animals, and other objects. He also knows spells that can command wind, part water, conjure protective circles against demons, and freeze humans, demons, and gods alike

#1 emily1983, Oct 13, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  2. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Welcome to BAF emily! Thanks for posting your questions here.
    I myself is a toy collector and I collect various action figures, but most of them are from Japan.
    And as I know, most of these were made in China due to low labor costs.

So I think there's also a market for that. Maybe for statue collectors since from what I see, it's a PVC statue, not an action figure. Have you tried selling them on eBay? Or do you own an ecommerce site? Have you made any earnings from it?

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Emily, is that toy based on the character from the old Monkey Magic TV series?

What countries do you plan on selling the toys to?

4. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think it's a different representation but I'm not too sure since I haven't seen the classic Monkey Magic anime series.
    Son Wukong, also known as Son Goku in Japanese, came from the popular Chinese novel Journey to the West. This novel have been used as a basis of various animated tv shows which includes the popular Dragonball series, Saiyuuki series, Monkey Typhoon, and Sayuuki drama series. Each of them have different representations but all have the same them of being a Money King.

5. emily1983

emily1983
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,yeah it is PVC statue, I have tried to sell them on ebay, but many people watched them, but no one bid on them, I see it may be price problem, so I low down the price, here is my auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200532775313&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Thanks
    Emily

hi, it is chinese novel 西游记, English name is Journey to East by WU Cheng'en. I want to sell them worldwidely.

#5 emily1983, Oct 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2010
  6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Emily, the starting price for your auction appears quite high at $20. How does that compare to the prices your competitors are selling at?

7. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't think the price is the problem. I have seen lots of PVC statues that costs 100s of dollars but are selling quite well.
    Maybe the shipping price is where they frown. $30 is quite high if you will ask me, unless it got some weight. And I don't see how much this guy weigh in your listing.

Anyways, Fergal is looking for it's competitors and here it is: http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=mo...ing+pvc&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313
    I used the keywords "monkey king statue" instead of "monkey king PVC" since it's the only one in the search listing.
    Maybe you could also add "statue" on your title since "PVC" is mostly used in anime stuffs.