I want to expand the business, where do I start?

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by michelle21689, Jun 15, 2012.

1. michelle21689

michelle21689
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Okay, so I asked a question on here a few days ago and I also asked on a different site. People told me that restaurant management is difficult and so much different than the grocery industry. People asked, "Why not stick to what you know?" since my father knows the ins-and-out of running a grocery I am lucky to get that advice. It's highly unlikely I'd get the restaurant anyways because of my cousins. Anyways, for those who haven't read, I'll tell a bit about my parents' grocery store.

My parents' business is a Thai grocery store that has been in business for 30 years. My father owns the building which is a small strip mall which includes a restaurant that is now owned by my uncle. The restaurant is locally famous and a favorite which also helps bring in many more customers to our grocery. Our grocery originally catered to southeast Asians but has expanded to Jamaican, African, and Hispanic products due to the growing immigrants of those ethnic groups in our area. Our store also provides wholesale for restaurant owners. We have a growing number of Asian market competitors but we still do good (but not as great as years ago because we had no competitors).

What I want to do
    I want to expand my father's business and take it to the next level. My dad doesn't want to expand and take it further because he's COMFORTABLE with where he is at. Luckily, my dad is retiring once I graduate college and will hand the business over to me if I want it. I have ideas that come to my mind but I have no idea where to start! Also, I'm scared that I will fail and that maybe this isn't such a good idea. There's so many worries such as location and buildings. It can be expensive! Demographics is another thing to think about.
    Since our shop is just a "mom and pop" shop that is nothing visually to be fancy about, I want to update the look. An international market I found called www.junglejims.com located 2 hours away from us is doing great and is similar to my parent's grocery except on a much larger scale. It includes European, East/Southeast Asian, South American, African, and Indian food...not to mention a post office, restaurants, and dentist (which is odd). I really like their concept but I want to focus on smaller areas and not include things like a dentist or post office. But how do you get the money to make such a big place?

Someone please tell me how to start.

2. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What i will suggest you is make a proposal in details according to your ideas, then discuss with your father and ask for his suggestion. The reason is that your father has great experience in business and you are just fresh. At least, you can learn something from him on how to move the first step

• Like Like x 1
  3. michelle21689

michelle21689
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks. As I said before, my father doesn't want to make new choices and is comfortable where he is at. He says he's "old and tired" lol.

4. sayitproud

sayitproud
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Michelle,

One thing to think about would be doing some market research. You could do some polls or surveys of your customers and see what they would like from your store. And you could try out some of your imaginative ideas on them to get feedback. It feels scary to make changes because you imagine you have to just dive in and change everything overnight. But there are many steps to going from idea to implementation and you don't have to do it completely blind. There will always be risk but you can cut down on some of that risk.

5. paralin

paralin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Now the world is reaching to the social media even for business and marketing. I suggest you to expand your business online interact with customers sell your items or services online through social media.

Regards
    Paraline

6. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sometime we can gain ideas and/or knowledge in general chatting. If I'm in your situation, I will try to get some knowledge from my father in chatting, like asking him why he choice this business when he was young, how he get succuss in this business etc. I sure he is happy to tell about this because everyone like to share his success 's story, this kind of chatting make the old people feel young and back to his young time.

7. Life_is_good

Life_is_good
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i think you should go talk with your old man, really. are you ready to take the business? maybe young man should gain more experience, until he can handle a business