I want to build a website

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by John Wadhams, Jan 4, 2011.

1. John Wadhams

John Wadhams
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Members , I am hoping to build a website subscription based. I have little knowledge in It but want to know where to start. I have all the ideas for content and design on paper, I have researched some of the easy build programs but find the standard templates on offer are not what i want. I have approached a couple of web designers who do not seem to get the story so want to have a bash myself.
    Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.
    John :confused:

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to our business forum John, thanks for joining and posting. Please have a look at some of the previous discussions listed below. Hopefully they will help you, once you have had a look through them, please post back if you have any specific questions;

How To Set Up Your First Website with WordPress
    How To Set Up Your First Website For Beginners - Using Office Live
    What should i need to create my own website?

W3Schools is a great site if you are looking for some tutorials on website coding.

If your looking for a good book, I'd couldn't recommend "Build Your Own Web Site the Right Way Using HTML and CSS" by Ian Lloyd, highly enough. It clearly explains how to get started with HTML and teaches you proper coding habits from the outset. I've looked at a few books on HTML and this one is my favourite.

Good luck with your website and please do post back with your thoughts and any further questions.

3. junglekid

junglekid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Why don't you search for related gigs at Fiverr on the Programming section?

4. OnlineHelper

OnlineHelper
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey John,

Personally, I am a huge fan of Wordpress and use that platform for all of my sites. In my opinion, whether you have advanced web design skills or are a newbie Wordpress is a great platform. Also for membership sites there is a great plugin called S2 Member. This plugin will give a Wordpress based site the ability to process memberships.

5. Rasha

Rasha
    uix_expand uix_collapse

6. Alexishost

Alexishost
    uix_expand uix_collapse

the easy way
    To build subscription website - where there are probably few users, and the number is fairly stable (that is, there aren't many new users), you may want to simply set up a password protected area on your website. The password protected area can contain normal web pages, or whatever you like.

For this, your site will need to be hosted on an Apache web server. This is probably not a big issue, since most web hosts use such a server. Just submit a ticket to web host of support department

For billing paypal can handle the subscription billing for you.

That's it!

Good Luck Jhon ! :)

7. John Wadhams

John Wadhams
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Re website

Thanks so much for all the replies and help, much appreciated
    John

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for posting back John Wadhams, please do let us know if you have any further questions or if there is anything else we can help with.

9. kajal123

kajal123
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi friends,,,,this is kajal here,,,i'have little knowledge this business.. whether you have advanced web design skills or are a newbie Wordpress is a great platform. Also for membership sites there is a great plugin called S2 Member.Just submit a ticket to web host of support department For billing paypal can handle the subscription billing for you.......please suggest me,,,,,,

10. sannu123

sannu123
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi guys,,,I think it is so very good information in this site...Then i like that,,,Thanks for this very helpful and innovative information in this site,,, i really appreciate. Keep it up.

11. dripworld

dripworld
    uix_expand uix_collapse

why not use drupal but you need some knowledge to control the website while wordpress is very easy interface.I love drupal for websites and blog wordpress.
    my suggestion goes wordpress for mini sites and drupal for big sites.Anyway you like wordpress and continue with that.

12. Spudster

Spudster
    uix_expand uix_collapse

try myownfreehost.net you will get reseller powers and cpanel powers over your board or webhostingfox.com is also a good i would recomend

13. Matt

Matt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have heard some pretty bad things abUt webhosting fox in recent times. In addition, they are a free host which is not what I recommend. You can get much better hosting for just a few dollars a month :)

14. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I totally agree with Matt
    Dont go for freehosting if you are serious on your website, it not worth to save little money but lose the visitor

15. anab01

anab01
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,
    Firstly know about which technologies is used like PHP,JSP,ASP.Net. After that making a front page.

16. Casey

Casey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If your website is going to be content-based, them wordpress is probably the thing you nedd. However, if you plan offering a service or a product or anything more sophisticated than a simple content-based website, you should consider talking to a PHP developer.

Tell us what is your decision!

Good Luck!

17. jmepik

jmepik
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you want to really make a website, you will have to go and study on advanced programming and coding skills, web design tips and several hours of memorizing strings of code... Its pretty tedious if you haven't been at it since you were younger... Takes a lot of time...
    Go for it! But if you want to just suggest what you want and have someone else do the coding, I suggest buying a service... I have recently had a friend with a website made by a company called AAA CBC.

18. aapkae

aapkae
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Why don't you search for related gigs at Fiverr on the Programming section?

19. JohnPattison

JohnPattison
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i recomend you to start with choosing CMS

20. PatriciaStewart

PatriciaStewart
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I strongly agree with OnlineHelper, If you have reliable hosting like Inmotion, Hostgator that provide Fantatisco or one-click-installer, you can build a pro website with a few clicks of mouse without HTML or code knowledge required and use Plugin as mentioned by OnlineHelper to manage the membership. You will save a lot of time and money.