I used to own a restaurant and.....

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by An Alien, May 30, 2011.

1. An Alien

An Alien
    uix_expand uix_collapse

We closed down about a few months ago. But, the restaurant was extremely popular and unique and I haven't taken the site down cause of my laziness lol. Well, today I finally took it down and thought of an idea. My restaurant was actually a kebab place with middle eastern food. And there's a few other places similar to my place. I was wondering, maybe I could help people out who want to eat that kind of food find those other places. This would help those other places and the people who enjoy that type of food. You guys think it's possible to do this on my restaurant's site and just advertise other restaurants?

2. divyun

divyun
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Have you heard Flock, a web browser based on Firefox and later on Chrome? They have been doing something similar since its development stopped last month. Instead of their own browser, they are now encouraging people to use Firefox or Chrome. You may have a look @ http://flock.com/.
    You can always do something similar.

Hope this helps!

• Like Like x 1
  3. An Alien

An Alien
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, thank you very much for that. I will try to do something similar with my site.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sorry to hear that your restaurant has closed down An Alien. I don't know what the location of your restaurant was like, however perhaps you could make it really simple by offering advertising space at the premises. You could offer to sell space to display large posters on your property. Other restaurants may well be interested in this advertising space bus so could other types of business. You could start off quite easily by putting up a large "Advertise Here" poster with your contact details.

It's an interesting idea, please do post back to let us know if you go ahead with it and to tell us how it works out.

5. f5mtadas

f5mtadas
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think look at pranchise offers, but you need solid fund for that of course.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sorry, I've just realised that my post above was made regarding the physical location of your business, but that what you were asking about was your website. Do you still own or have a lease on the property where you had the restaurant?

If you have removed all the content from the site I'd suggest that you put some relevant content back on it as soon as possible. If the search engines spiders visit your domain you will lose any rankings or indexing that you have built up, if they see that you no longer have a site on it.

Would you mind telling us the domain name of your site? Obviously we understand if you'd prefer to keep it confidential.

Divyun's suggestion is a great one and you might even get a couple of local restaurants to pay you for recommending them. Another option to consider would be putting up a restaurant directory on that domain, but I'm not sure how suitable the domain name would be for that.

7. An Alien

An Alien
    uix_expand uix_collapse

8. DonutMan35

DonutMan35
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That sounds like a good idea. I wouldn't do it for free though. If you could at least monetize the advertisement, I would try and do that. Since you lost your business, anything you can do to get on their payroll will help. I wouldn't just give away free advertising.

#8 DonutMan35, May 31, 2011
    Last edited: May 31, 2011
  9. An Alien

An Alien
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, I wasn't thinking about giving it out for free. But I am thinking about how I'm going to set up a system for that.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The site looks great An Alien, it makes me hungry just looking at it :)

How do you feel about putting up a restaurants directory on that domain? You could use a directory script like http://www.phplinkdirectory.com/ to get you up and running quite quickly.

11. An Alien

An Alien
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes! Thank you so much Fergal. That's exactly what I was looking for.

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for posting back An Alien, I look forward to seeing your site once you get it up and running.

13. brooksamanda89

brooksamanda89
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes ... interesting idea. Also by offering space you can earn something with your non-working website. As given on flock.com you can add some recommendations & put a banner with “Place Ad here” & contact. Best of luck!!!

14. lccglobals

lccglobals
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Not a bad idea, you can do this and also it will reward you with money doing no extra efforts. But my advice is, why don't you go for a business consultant they will provide you best solution with most possible solution.

15. An Alien

An Alien
    uix_expand uix_collapse

^lol why would I need a consultant when I have this site :D

• Like Like x 1
  16. td2011

td2011
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes there are plenty of consultants on here. I think your plan could work An Alien. I'm sure the similar restaurants would appreciate the extra business and you can come to an agreement with them.