I need to revive my sales activity

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Selly, May 5, 2015.

1. Selly

Selly
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello! I am looking for advice on how to revive my sales activity. Let me explain:

I was a sales rep. at a food distribution company for 5 years where I took care of about 70 restaurant clients. Then I transferred to the central purchasing department for frozen product, and that is when my current struggle started. I am the only salesperson in my office, and none of my co-workers seem to share my passion and skills for sales. Even my bosses don't seem to care much about our sales amount. We don't even have sales goals. We do not sell to the public. We only sell to our distributors, and they sell to the restaurants. However the distributors have other vendors besides us (central purchasing).

I have other responsibilities besides sales. So I can manage to keep myself occupied with other things. But I would really like to start focusing on sales because I care about our company and I want to take care of the distributors. I want to build strong relationships with the local purchasers at each distribution center, but I don't know most them personally. So it is hard for me to know where to start or just call them up and say hi, what can I do for you? The only sales-related project I have right now is selling slow-moving inventory, which I think is very important. But I find it hard to get the ball rolling with this because I don't know what tactics to use.

Would anyone be able to recommend some ways to jump-start my sales activity? I currently find it hard to do any sales activity because of the unsupportive environment and my lack of personal connection with the customers. I would appreciate any advice. Thank you!

Selly

2. Kevin Peter

Kevin Peter
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

Is it easy for you to commute to each of these distributors individually and look for the products which are in demand and the inventory details whihc will give you more clear picture on the products to be pushed. If something is not right, you canrectify and train them immediately. If they are willing to accept your advice, please do train them on the tactics to deal with the restaurants. Give them scenarios and case studies and help them understand the way to push through a great product like yours!

3. Selly

Selly
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Kevin: Thank you for your advice. I agree that one aspect of sales is being able to train the customers when appropriate. I cannot physically go to the locations as they are spread out all over the U.S., but I can talk to them on the phone and email. I feel much more energy already!:)

4. Selly

Selly
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I just decided to jump into some sales activity today to get the ball rolling. I chose a product that we have a small, dead inventory for. Then I started calling all branches to offer the product. Most people I called said that they would check and get back to me. I am going to call the other branches after lunch. One thing I noticed is that I had other jobs that I could have done instead, but if I chose to put those aside then I could focus more on sales. It is very draining at first, I must say, because I don't know many of the purchasers well and first-time conversations intimidate me. I just need to get be strong-willed with my schedule. I can do this.

5. tsubibo

tsubibo
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

You could also offer those dead inventories at a discount. Of course you would have to check with your superiors first.