I need ideas

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by elids1979, Mar 30, 2010.

1. elids1979

elids1979
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi all
    I am a Cpa in israel, working in a big firm, currently finishing my mba
    My question is a little bit out of the ordinary
    Lately, I have decided that what I want to do is travel, not in the sense of having fun and sleeping late sight seeing , but more like, constant change of locations and activities
    Off course, I need to sustain myself, I dont want to be a millionare, I just want enough to pay for accomodation&food&basic needs while "traveling", my main basic limitation is that nothing can be on the long run, meaning, i want to be constantly on the move
    I wonder if you have any ideas on how to do so, If you for example would decide to be nomad, how would you sustain yourselvs?
    thanks in advance for your ideas
    eli

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum elids1979.

It can be difficult to earn money, if you are constantly on the move and travelling to different countries. One option you could consider is earning money online. You could run a website business, from web cafes at the different locations that you travel to. Maybe you could start a blog about business and accountancy or a blog that documents your travels. You could then sell advertising space on the blog to help earn some money. You can get some very helpful information on starting a blog in our Useful Online Business Resources thread.

Will you have much time to spend on your business, during your travels? Do you plan on working for a few hours every day or are you hoping to do less than that?

How long do you plan spending at each location / city?

Please post back with your thoughts and we will do our best to help you and offer suggestions.

3. lorcan

lorcan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would have to agree with fergal you would have to get a job online, as i don't think many companies will take you if you just leave in a short space of time.

4. elids1979

elids1979
    uix_expand uix_collapse

answers

thanks for your input, i was also thinking that the internet is one of my best options.
    lets say that i want to give about 3 hours a day, and stay at each city for about 2 months before moving to the next one.
    The blog idea is interesting, yet i am not sure i have what it takes for it, and especially taking into account that revenues generated from it could take a long time and not be enough to cover my costs
    Options i am contemplating about are working as a salesman for companies, does this option exist, would companies be interested of paying commissions to someone with vast financial knowledge going all over the world?

5. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

that would be great if you could stay for awhile in china, talk to some suppliers and ship product to somewhere else you want. or sell in ebay. :D

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

elids1979 if you are planning on staying two months in each city, you should be able to pick up part time jobs in some of those cities. The jobs may not be in your area of expertise, but if you are flexible, there are jobs available. It will be difficult to pick up jobs in business, if you are only spending a couple of months in each city, companies will want to hire people that are going to spend some time with them, before they leave.

There is undoubtedly some company out there who would welcome the opportunity to pay someone for work in various places around the world. You could do some searches on major job sites, such as Monster.com. Another option might be to consider offering mystery shopping services to companies such as hotel chains, tour operators, financial institutions, etc that have operations in many different countries.

Maybe you could become a writer or reviewer for travel books / websites such as the Lonely Planet or Rough Guide.

These are just ideas, maybe they'll help spark something off for you.

7. rosszero

rosszero
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi elids1979, I agree that making money online through a passive income takes a lot of initial time investment to make anything worthwhile, even a few quid. It helps to know what temporary jobs are popular in different countries. For instance, in Australia, picking in a vineyard is one a few of my friends have done in the past, and doing sales calls.

8. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

right, partime job is your best option.
    or you can always rob a bank from city to city. :D

9. elids1979

elids1979
    uix_expand uix_collapse

more thoughts..

some really good ideas, thanks all
    basically what you are saying is that I can either be a part time worker in every country i go to (Although working without a working visa can be a problem no?)
    Or i can try working freelance
    I wonder if a model like mine could work with establishing a business..
    actually, if i have a partner in israel , maybe i can ship here products that i find interesting while staying in other countries
    In any case , your input so far was inspiring :)