I need an SEO expert mentor

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by seoev, Jan 3, 2015.

1. seoev

seoev
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello BusinessAdviceForum,
    I am beginner entrepreneur and currently I already have one online-project (BMshop – e-commerce platform).
    Currently I want to start one more project.The project in a few words:
    Website with the detailed overview and comparison of the popular e-commerce platforms.
    And I just purchased a domain name for it http://bestecommerceplatform.info/ :)

I need the second project in order to support the BMshop project and improve my skills in SEO.

I have a theoretical understanding of SEO and some skills, but I do not have enough practical experience in SEO.
    So I need an SEO expert who can be my mentor: who can guide me step by step in promotion of the website, can give advice, and recommend tools and resources to use.

Looking forward to your help!

#1 seoev, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2015
  2. seoev

seoev
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I hope somebody with the relevant experience will become my mentor, but for now I will just describe in a few senntences what i have done so far.

1) Domain name - I have selected and purchased domain name for future webiste http://bestecommerceplatform.info/ . For the 3 years - about 42$
    2) Website hosting and platform - I have purchased "minimalistic" hosting for 1 year - about 20$. As a platform i have selected WordPress, as it is free, looks nice and i already have some exipiernce with Wordpress.
    3) Website installation - in order to "setup" website i deployed Wordpress at hosting via cPanel. Then i indicated namservers of my hosting provider for the domain name. Now i am waiting when the changes will be applied. Usually it takes about 24 hours.
    4) Keywords planning - i have created long list of the keywords via Adwords keywords planner. In total there are 150 keywords. Then i selected the more relevant and prioritized the keywords for SEO.
    5) Articles - i have created the request for 9 articles to the copywriter (keywords with the priority 1,2,3). Then i ordered the first 4 articles from a freelance copywriter. If articles will be with high quality i will order more articles.

First 44 keywords i use and Avg. Monthly Searches (exact match only):

ecommerce platform 1900
    e-commerce platform 1300
    ecommerce website platform 40
    best e-commerce platform 170
    best ecommerce platform 4400
    best ecommerce website solutions 10
    best ecommerce solutions for small businesses 10
    best ecommerce website solution 10
    best ecommerce software solutions 10
    ecommerce software 5400
    ecommerce website builder 2900
    e-commerce software 1300
    ecommerce solution 1000
    e-commerce solution 480
    ecommerce builder 320
    e-commerce website builder 210
    ecommerce website software 210
    ecommerce website solutions 170
    best e-commerce software 90
    best e-commerce solution 30
    best e-commerce website builder 20
    best e-commerce builder 10
    best ecommerce cms 590
    best e-commerce cms 90
    best cms e commerce 20
    best ecommerce software 1300
    best ecommerce website builder 720
    best ecommerce solution 260
    best ecommerce website software 30
    best ecommerce store builder 20
    best ecommerce website platform 20
    ecommerce cms 1300
    cms e commerce 720
    e-commerce cms 720
    ecommerce site builder 390
    e-commerce builder 70
    e-commerce site builder 50
    ecommerce solutions for small businesses 50
    ecommerce website building 30
    how to create an ecommerce site 30
    create e-commerce site 10
    best e-commerce site builder 10
    best ecommerce site builder 140
    best ecommerce builder 90

3. seoev

seoev
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Just a small update about website:

1) Website configuration - I created the structure and configured website in accordance with the structure. There is no content at the moment, but it may be at least indexed by the Google so far.
    View attachment 2325
    2) Content - The copywriter delivered only 2 articles at the moment. I checked both articles for uniqueness before adding them. The first one was okay. I accepted it and posted in the blog area. Unfortunately, the second article was pure copy-paste, so I requested a new one.
    3) Website analysis - I added the site to the http://www.google.com/webmasters/. Also I have to find a good website for website analysis and monitoring....

P.S. joeroxx, thanks for the recommendation regarding backinks. I will take it into account.

#3 seoev, Jan 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2015
  4. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

It's good that you are thinking about SEO while designing the site. Now all you need to do is actually create a site for Google and the major search engines to look at. As you mentioned, there is no content, so even if it's indexed, you're not really going anywhere yet. Nine articles is a start, but you'll need more before you start working off-page work. Have you searched any of your keywords to take a look at who you're competing with? I would definitely do that, to give yourself an idea of how much work you need to do. Some of your keywords get over a thousand searches per month, a few get thousands. You might want to consider pursuing some medium competition keywords, after your site is up and running.
    I am troubled by the copy-paste article submitted by your copywriter. Keep a close eye on their work, to make sure their work is original. If you get more copy-paste articles, consider hiring someone else - and don't go to Fiverr or SEOclerks. Get someone who can actually supply original, quality articles.

5. Jybrael

Jybrael
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What do you guys suggest for someone that is completely new to the internet monetization factor...should I hire someone that is good at SEO or should I try and do the SEO by myself. I am currently working on a website of my own..its still in the skeleton phase so I haven't really published it online or bought the domain and hosting yet. Is writing articles about the website and posting it on article submission sites going to be enough on the very day that I launch it or should I do something else too?

6. seoev

seoev
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Fiverr is the place where i hired the copywriter... Why it is a bad place? Can you recommend specific resource for writer hiring?

7. boysingh

boysingh
    uix_expand uix_collapse

- Some of the writers on Fiverr don't actually give good content. You might want try odesk. They may be cheaper but the quality of work is good.

#7 boysingh, Jan 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2015
  8. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

You answered your own question before you even asked it. Unfortunately, we have our own writers on staff, so I don't have any recommendations for outside sources, but boysingh has answered both of your questions.

I believe some others have recommended a site called Elance when members have asked about freelancers. As I said, we don't use freelancers most of the time, but try them out and let us know how they work.

9. seoev

seoev
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Just a amsll update on the my website:

1) Indexing: Google has indexed 12 pages on the website https://www.google.ru/search?source...=2&ie=UTF-8&q=site:bestecommerceplatform.info
    I built website on the wordpress, and blog is one of the main part of my SEO. As i see at the moment Google indexed not only blog posts, but also blog categories. Initially i did not used categories, so all artcles were uncategorized. I fixed it and have created the relevant categories.
    2) Content: I had some unique content from my last project, which i did not use. I just modified it a little bit, so i can use it for the SEO. I uploaded 6 articles, at the moment and will upload couple more today.
    3) Plans: I plan to upload about 30 artcles during the month. Then i will check how the website and pages ranked in the google for different keywords, and will define my SEO tactics. After that i will create several pages with a usefull content, which i will promote (eCommerce platfrom overview, and comparison). And after that i will optimize a webdesign.

10. seoev

seoev
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Just a one more small update on the my website:

1) Internal optimization: As far as i know the website internal pages must be well connected and interlinked. And also you can transmit "page weight" between the pages by links. In order to do this i added several blocks with the links (Useful pages, tag cloud, categories) the each website page and blog post.
    And i added Copyright after each blog post, and to the footer in order to transmit "weight" to the main page.

"© Copyright – The content of this page has been developed specially for the http://bestecommerceplatform.info/ and cannot be used without website administration permission."

2) External optimization: I have created the website page in the Facebook and Google+. I am sure it will be a positive signal for the Google search machine.

#10 seoev, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2015
  11. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Based on the errors I found in your post above, I took a look at your website. I started reading one article, and stopped after finding several grammar errors. If you want to design an authoritative website, written in English, your articles will have to be written using proper English spelling and grammar. If you cannot do this yourself, you will have to have someone proofread and correct them for you. Not using a proofreader may not effect your SEO, but visitors may be turned off by errors in language, and being ranked highly will not help that.

12. seoev

seoev
    uix_expand uix_collapse

HI,
    based on your advise i made several changes in my "content policy"

1) Legacy content - I stopped adding artciles from the prevoius project, as they are almost all with the poor spelling and grammar. However i did not delete or correct already existing posts, as the price for proofreading and correction almost equal price for writing new article with the same volume...

2) SEO content I ordered several articles form a one native speaker copywriter. However copywriter is just a copwriter, but not a real expert in ecommerce. So artcile well structured, interesting, but does not contain something outstanding and uniqueness in terms of meaning.

3) Contet for visitors It is not so easy to write or find really great articles. You need to be an expert in your area and a good writer in order to create something worthwhile. However only the arctiles with outstanding content will be really useful for the visitors. Fortunatelly i read a lot of ecommerce related information and i found several articles on Russian which are uqnique and really good. So i have ordered translation and today publicated the first artcile.

NOTE: Help needed.
    As i am not a native speaker i cannot fully assess the artciles. So i need your feedback on the 2 articles.

Translation "11 Core Principles for an Effective Landing" (I realy like this article): http://bestecommerceplatform.info/11-core-principles-effective-landing/
    Copywriting "E-Commerce Website Design" - http://bestecommerceplatform.info/e-commerce-website-design/

Are the artcile interesting and usefull?
    Does artciles sound naturall "engslih", contain proper spelling and grammar?

Thanks in advance!

13. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I took a look at the first of these two articles today, and found a few errors:

1) Add the word "Page" to the title, so it says "Landing Page", not just "Landing"

2) In your introduction, you used hyphens where they are not necessary. In the first paragraph, in the phrase "(depending on the purpose), your job – is to give the visitor", eliminate the hyphen after the word "job". In the second paragraph, eliminate the hyphen after the words "Design" and "Copyrighting".

3)Also in the second paragraph, make "Design is the heart" one sentence, followed by "It will generate emotions, and direct attention to the most important item – the call-to-action." This would be followed by "Copywriting is the brain - the description of the offer which will inspire the visitor to either perform a certain action, or close the page and reject the offer."

4) You used a question mark in a few places where you were not, or should not be, asking a question. In the first principle, "therefore you should have several segments?" should not be a question. You can then begin the next line by saying "Lay a separate route", rather than answering a question you shouldn't ask. In the fourth principle, you should begin with a statement, not a question. "Remember that you’ve already paid for the visitor to appear on this page?", should be "Remember, you've already paid for the visitor to appear on this page."

5) Staying on the fourth principle, "Secondly, use as little as possible external links.", should be "Second, use as little external links as possible." After "design of the landing page" you should have comma, not a semi-colon. Change "They can clash if some of the elements don’t serve any of them, then perhaps it would be better to remove it" to "If some of the elements don’t serve either of them, then perhaps it would be better to remove them". The last line should read "Do not include links that take them away from performing a specific action".

6) Although you did not ask, I disagree with principle #5. If I had to read all of the information on the landing page to the right in your illustration, I would close the page long before I read 1/4 of the page, if that. Of course eliminating this principle would mean you now have only 10 principles, and would have to re-number the rest. I don't care - do it anyway.

7) On the seventh principle, you used hyphens way too much. "Logo - is the face of your landing" should read "Your logo is the face of your landing page". After the first two lines, the next paragraph should read:

"A tastefully issued and placed logo is the integral attribute of any landing page. The logo has to transmit the spirit of your brand and its identity to both old and new clients. The logo itself can reveal the essence of the business of the company. . . or kill it."

In the "Image' paragraph, I have no idea what the first line means. Get rid of it. The rest of the paragraph should read:

"On the site it is desirable to use pictures, coinciding with the purpose of your business. As we have mentioned earlier, the trend in e-commerce design is large images. Build your landing page around this image. Large graphics and large text of the main messages – that’s all you need to bring your business’ message to the visitor. But do not be restricted to just pictures."

8) On the eighth principle, the first paragraph should read;

"Experience has proven that, with how a video is built, it is the same with videophone. They both possess intense emotional effect and give a better understanding of the product, increasing conversion. The visitor is more likely to spend a long time on the page looking at a video rather than reading a piece of text."

Then, the line above the GoPro video should read:

"For example, videophone landing GoPro is not only enticing, but it also perfectly captures the company’s values and way of life it associates itself with – to be a hero, and live each day at full capacity."

9) Finally on the eleventh principle, take out the question on the first line, making it "To get something, you need to give something". In the second paragraph, take out the hyphen after "Optimizing landing pages", and, wherever you refer to a "landing page" as a "landing", add the word "page".

Unfortunately, that's all I have time for today. Maybe I can get to the next article next week.